eighteen

________________________________

THE NEXT MORNING, ALEX WOKE UP ABRUPTLY. 

She had fallen asleep the previous night directly after the funeral. She was exhausted both physically and emotionally from the day. However, she had a nightmare that felt all too real. 

She was back in her childhood home, and her parents were fighting. Her father had gotten drunk, and had begun screaming at Alex and her mother. Right as he advanced on Alex, raising his hand, she woke up in a cold sweat. 

Feeling something on her hair, she brought her hand up to her head. She lifted what felt like grass off, and took it in her hand. That was when she realized that it was connected to the bed. 

Alex had killed the vines that surrounded Loki's bed. 

She crawled out of the nest that surrounded her, stepping off the bed. She hurriedly dressed herself, wondering what time of day it was. Judging by the sun barely being out, she concluded it was just past dawn. 

Looking over at the bed, it was a mess. The vines hung limp, instead of perked up and lively. She was never sure why Loki had vines around his bed, but she knew he would most likely be upset at this. 

So, when he walked through her door, she awaited his reaction. 

"The vines," He noticed almost immediately. He walked over the bed, taking a strand in his hands. "How did this happen?"

"It was an accident, I swear. I woke up, and I had killed them," Alex spoke with remorse. 

"You killed them," He repeated. 

"Oh no, are you upset?"

"Alexandra, this plant was given to me by my mother."

"Oh, shit." Alex panicked. 

"No, I simply meant that it isn't an ordinary plant. She gave it to me because I used to have recurring nightmares when I slept. It has properties that are calming,"

"I had a nightmare last night, and I guess it didn't work so I killed it." She deadpanned. 

"It also had the ability, if consumed, to make one immortal. She never told anyone but me, to prevent the chance of it being stolen. So, I'm perplexed how you managed to kill it. I guess I assumed the plant itself was immortal."

She let the words sink in. Immortality. A foreign concept to her, being a human and all. None of the Avengers were even immortal. 

"Why didn't you consume it, then?"

"I never saw a need to be immortal. I'm already a god, meaning my lifespan is quite lengthy. Being immortal, well, who's to say I won't grow bored?"