seventeen

________________________________

ALEX AWOKE FROM HER SLEEP, BUT WAS CONFUSED TO SHE WAS IN HER BED. SHE RUBBED HER temples, trying to recall what happened. The last thing she remembered was being with Thor, running up to his mother's chambers. 

Then, it suddenly hit her. 

Frigga had died, and she had failed to save her. 

She sprung to her feet. She had to speak to Thor. What happened after she passed out from exhaustion? Did they escape? Was Jane safe? Did Loki know his mother was dead? 

The door opened, and the one person she feared to see walked through. 

Loki stepped in, a desperate look etched on his defined features. His eyes met Alex's, who looked away in shame. He closed the door, and stayed where he was in the room. Alex was unsure of what to say, and unsure how he was feeling. She could normally read him fairly well. Right now, his expression said so many conflicting things. 

"You're awake," 

"I am."

"You were unconscious for a whole day," 

She rose her eyebrows. "I was?" 

"Yes,"

"How are you?" She asked with utmost caution. 

"Lost," Was all he said. 

"Loki--"

"I had finished fighting all the prisoners, and the guards had them contained. I was on my way to find where you and Thor had gone, when I heard the clap of thunder." Loki's eyes were trained on the floor. "I entered the room to find Thor in a rage, and my mother,"

Loki's voice cut off. Alex felt her heart sink at his obvious distress, and took steps closer to him. 

"My mother dead, and you unconscious, holding her hand." 

"I'm so sorry, I tried to stop him, I tried to save her--"

"No one has ever made such a sacrifice for me." He spoke. 

She looked at him, confused. She looked for traces of sarcasm or anger, but there was none. Only grief was held on his face. 

"I'm sorry I couldn't do it," 

"You've nothing to be sorry for."

She nodded once, unsure of what to say. She had somehow made her way across the room, for she was now standing right in front of him. 

"You're the only one left that wants to help me," Loki said, his voice so quiet Alex almost didn't catch it. 

"That's not true,"