thirty-one

─────────────────

─────────────────

ALEX AWOKE WITH EASE, HAVING GOTTEN A GOOD AMOUNT OF SLEEP. SHE PUT ON HER SUIT, KNOWING STEVE WOULD most likely be in to tell them to 'suit up' at any moment now. They were to jet off to Sokovia today, to face possibly their biggest threat yet.

"Morning, Clint." She said as she walked by the main room.

"Morning to you, too!" Pietro spoke.

"Didn't even see you there, blurry face," She called, smiling when she heard his laugh. She entered the kitchen, where Steve was making himself coffee.

"Tired?"

"Of the fighting, yes." He replied.

"Me, too."

"Stark and I clash too damn much,"

"Tony's ego takes up a lot of space," She laughed. "Hard to have room for two of them."

Steve scoffed. "You think I have a big ego?"

"The serum didn't just make your muscles big, that's for sure."

He gave her a playful shove before walking out of the room. She grabbed a banana, and ate it in silence. She silently prayed that today would go well, and no one would get hurt.

"Alex, can you go down to the training center and grab my hydrotonic receptor? We're gonna test that bad boy out today." Tony's voice came over the earpiece.

"Sure,"

She threw the banana peel away, and left the kitchen. Tony was always leaving his toys around the tower, and sending her on a wild goose chase to find them. She wasn't even sure what a hydrotonic receptor looked like, much less what it does.

She reached the training center, and nostalgia hit her like a truck. She saw her younger self, struggling to run for a long time on the treadmill. Her and Tony would crack jokes her whole training session, and that's what got her through them. When those days would get the hardest, Tony was always there to make her smile.

She looked around the table, spotting what she was looking for. She picked it up, and turned around. She dropped the receptor as she took in what was in front of her.

Loki.

He was looking right at her, not moving a muscle. She never took her eyes off him as she approached him slowly. Then, she reached up, and slapped him across the face.

"...Ouch."

"Had to make sure you weren't a hologram." She gave him a fake smile.

"I am not."

"Good." She slapped him again. "That was for everything you did."

"You've grown stronger since I've seen you." He smirked. "And you've got a suit? I have to say, it looks absolutely--"