fifty-nine

___________________________________________

THE NEXT MORNING CAME IN A HAZE. ALEX BARELY SLEPT ONCE AGAIN AFTER BOTH ENCOUNTERS WITH TWO different men the night before, but was the first one out of bed. She had planned to talk to Steve before training that day. 

"Steve," She called once she saw him in the dining area. 

"Alex, are you feeling better?"

"It doesn't matter. I wanted to apologize for my behavior yesterday, it was out of line--"

"No, I should be the one apologizing. I didn't understand the depth of what you're going through, which is on me. I know what it's like to lose someone you love, so I should've been more understanding. Also, you were right. You're a person, not just a fighting machine." 

She smiled. "Thank you. And no, I didn't need to be so dramatic."

"Eh, free entertainment." Steve gestured to the seat next to him. "Sit with me."

She sat down with her plate of eggs and bacon, happy to have the company. Wanda eventually joined them, not eating due to her nerves. The three chatted about anything but what was going on. Alex then began to zone out, their words becoming muffled. She thought about her encounter with Loki, and his words. 

Sooner than you think, my love. 

He had frustrated her completely. His arrogance and lack of remorse for his actions infuriated Alex, and she wanted so badly to wipe the smirk off his face. But, there was a tiny part of her that longed to see him again. 

"Alex, did you hear me?" 

"Hm?" Alex snapped out of her thoughts. 

"Shuri wants to see us in the laboratory." 

"Oh," She realized they were standing, so she stood herself. 

Alex followed Steve, Wanda, Natasha and Bruce into the lab where Shuri worked on Vision. They all hoped they would be hearing some good news. She had been working nonstop, but Vision's structure had begun to be more complicated than she thought. 

Once they entered the lab, they saw Shuri hard at work, and T'Challa observing with his main guard Okoye. 

"Something's entered the atmosphere." Okoye spoke once they entered the room. 

"Hey, Cap, we got a situation here." Sam said over the intercom system. He, Bucky, and Rhodey were suiting up outside. 

The defense shield over Wakanda destroyed one of the alien vessels that slammed into the field at full attack acceleration.

"God, I love this place." Bucky was heard. 

"Yeah, don't start celebrating yet, guys. We got more incoming outside the dome." There was Rhodey.