thirty-eight

________________________________

ALEX MADE HER WAY THROUGH THE WATERFALL, CATCHING A SMALL GLIMPSE OF THE OTHER side. She saw Loki, waiting for her on his horse. But, what really caught her eye was the immense glow that decorated the atmosphere.

"Did I just walk into Heaven?"

Loki chuckled. "Frigga used to tell me how beautiful the cave was. We must be getting closer,"

Alex looked all around her. Birds chirped, and flowers glistened in the sunlight. It was warm, which contrasted the bleak forest they had just escaped.

"There's no way we're there yet," Alex said. "There must be something ahead."

They rode their horses at a minimal pace, making sure to be on the lookout for bilgesnipe or any other dangerous creature. They did this for about an hour, though it didn't feel like it. They laughed and joked while riding, carrying on to pass the time.

"So what exactly does it do?"

"Loki, the name is self-explanatory. It blends food."

"You'll have to show me because I'm very confused."

Alex's laughter rang as music to Loki's ears. He had made it his personal mission to make her smile every moment he could. He never wanted to see her in pain again, especially since he caused most of it.

"There's the upside down tree," Alex pointed. "On the map did it say right or left?"

"Right at the upside down tree,"

"Do what right at the upside down tree?"

"No, go right at the upside down tree,"

"Ah,"

"It should be about a mile until we get there,"

Alex beamed. "We're almost there, then!"

"It's about time you got excited,"

"Well, I'm actually excited to go back because I'm hungry."

"Of course. You know what I was thinking about the other day?"

"What?" Alex looked at him.

"What ever happened to the scepter?"

"That's a good question," She thought for a moment. "I remember Pietro and I guarding it before we went to Sokovia--"

"You and whom?"

"Oh, get over yourself. You left me with Strucker."

Loki scowled. "Are you ever going to get over that?"

"Probably not. But, I don't know about the scepter. You used it last in Sokovia, and I'm assuming Tony recollected it after we returned to New York. A shame if that ended up in the wrong hands, huh?"