forty-seven

_____________________________________

THE PORTAL CLOSED, LEAVING DR. STRANGE IN NEW YORK, AND THE THREE OF THEM ON THIS GRASSLAND IN NORWAY. Alex followed closely behind Thor and Loki, allowing them to inspect the scene themselves. Thor walked over to Odin, as Loki and Alex stayed behind the man. 

"Father?" Thor broke the silence. 

Odin was faced forward, looking at the ocean in front of them. He wore human clothes, and still had an eyepatch on.

"Look at this place. It's beautiful." The Allfather replied. 

Okay, Alex thought, definitely senile. 

"Father, it's us." Thor tried again. 

"My sons," Odin spoke. "I've been waiting for you. And you've brought Alex; how is the immortality holding?"

"Good, your Highness," She replied. She was relieved that Odin never had any real animosity toward her. 

"We've come to take you home." 

"Home, yes. Your mother, she calls me. Do you hear it?" 

"Loki, lift your magic." Thor was beginning to sound angry. 

Odin shook his head, however. "Took me quite a while to break free from your spell. Frigga would have been proud. Come and sit with me, I don't have much time." 

The two men sat with their father on a nearby rock, and Alex stayed behind. She began to feel intrusive of their moment, but Loki motioned for her to stand next to him. 

"I know that we failed you, but we can make this right," Thor said. 

"I failed you," Odin disagreed. "It is upon us, Ragnarok."

"No, I've stopped Ragnarok, I've put an end to Surtur."

"No, it has already begun. She's coming. My life was all that held her back, but my time has come. I cannot keep her away any longer."

Loki and Thor shared a confused look. 

"Father, who are you talking about?" Thor inquired.

"The Goddess of Death. Hela. My first born. Your sister."

Alex suddenly felt like she had fallen into a telenovela. 

"Holy shit," She blurted. 

Once all three men turned to look at her, she covered her mouth. "Sorry, sorry, family moment, my bad." 

"What?" Thor shook his head. 

"Her violent appetites grew beyond my control. I couldn't stop her, so I imprisoned her. Locked her away. She draws her strength from Asgard, and once she gets there, her powers will be limitless."