forty-one

_____________________________________

"STAND DOWN, NOW."

Alex quickly racked her brain for where she had heard that voice before. 

"Congratulations Cap, you're a criminal."

The authorities quickly swarmed in to incarcerate Bucky first. They shouted in their native language as the rest of the guilty held their hands up slowly. The mystery man retracted his claws, and twisted off his mask.

Alex was surprised to see a very attractive African American man with a remorseful face look back at her. 

"Your highness," Rhodey, she had realized, spoke. Tony had told her of their times together, and how he had earned a suit of his own. 

She knew she'd be filled in on who the royal man was at some point, so she didn't make it a priority to ask now. 

She did have time, though, to ask on their journey to Berlin, where the authorities were taking them. Steve quietly explained that he was T'Challa, now the king of Wakanda, which she remembered from their previous mission is a very elusive country. 

A long escort of police cars safely transported Bucky and the rest of them to wherever they were going. She sat in the backseat with Sam in the police car, while Steve and T'Challa were in the row in front of them. 

"So you like cats?" Sam spoke to T'Challa, while Alex snickered. 

"Sam." He was scolded by Steve. 

"What? Dude shows up dressed like a cat, and you don't want to know more?"

"I've always wanted a cat," Alex chimed in.

"Your suit, it's Vibranium?" Steve asked the quiet man.

"The Black Panther has been the protector of Wakanda for generations. A mantle passed from warrior to warrior. And now, because your friend murdered my father, I also wear the mantle of King. So I ask you, as both warrior and king, how long do you think you can keep your friend safe from me?"

Alex and Sam looked at each other with unease. 

The rest of the ride was silent, as they finally reached their destination. Inside a garage, they were allowed to get out of the vehicle. They watched as Bucky's giant cell car was taken to a separate area of the facility. 

"What's gonna happen to him?" Steve asked expectantly as the foursome walked over to a short man in a suit. 

"Same thing that ought to happen to you. Psychological evaluation and extradition."

The blonde woman who seemed to know Steve spoke next, "This is Everett Ross, Deputy Task Force Commander."

"See that their weapons are placed in lock up." Ross spoke to the woman.