twelve

________________________________

LOKI LEFT ALEX ALONE FOR TWO DAYS. FOR TWO DAYS, SHE SAT by her lonesome. She took advantage of this time to read the books he brought her. At first, she didn't want to read them. She wanted nothing to do with something that interested Loki. 

But then, she grew bored. 

She read the first book in a couple of hours. It was about the art of war, which did not shock Alex at all. Then, she read of an enchantress that befriended a sorcerer. They, despite their differences, fell in love. 

She was unsure why Loki had so much interest in a book with such a theme. To Alex, he was incapable of love at all. She did, however, notice very quickly he never mentioned his mother. Well, technically, Thor's mother. She made a note to ask, but was also fearful of pressing any sensitive matter. 

Alex was grateful that the drawers in Loki's room were magically filled with new frocks to wear. She began to sleep in his bed instead of the chaise, once she knew he wasn't sleeping there himself. Everything in his room was intriguing, because there was a reason behind it all. She just wasn't sure of the reason. The vines that surrounded his bed, the odd placement of the window. 

Loki, she concluded, was an extremely confusing man. God. Person. Whatever he was. 

"Good morning, milady." The same guard came into the room, greeting Alex. In his hand, he carried the same tray of food as he did every morning.

 "Good morning, and you know you can call me Alex." She smiled. 

"Of course, milady." 

She rolled her eyes playfully. She had taken a liking to the guard, as he was always very polite. Unlike other Asgardians she had encountered. 

"Do I have anything to do today?" She asked hopefully, wishing to be pulled out of boredom. 

"You do." She heard a voice she knew all too well. Sighing, she turned to find Loki smugly standing near the window. 

"How lovely for you to pop in. Quite literally." 

"You may go." Loki dismissed the guard, which made Alex mildly upset. 

"I like him." 

"He's a guard." 

"Still a person." She retorted. 

"Mm," He hummed. "You've read some of the books." 

"Yeah. Art of war. A classic."

"So, you'll be intrigued to know I have plans for you today." He changed the subject.

She gave him a raised eyebrow and an apprehensive look. 

"Which include what exactly?"

"You will learn to fight."