CHAPTER TWO

The consistent yelling outside of my house had stopped, which meant one thing

The consistent yelling outside of my house had stopped, which meant one thing. The search party for Will had halted for the night, but I knew they would be back at it in the early morning.

I throw on my kicks and my jacket, slinging my bag on my shoulder before running to the kitchen to fetch a flashlight in one of the drawers.

"Where are you off to?" My mom asks as her and my dad sat in the living room.

"Just gonna hang out with my friends, I'll be back home later." I inform.

"Alright, but don't be out to late. Don't want you to be fussy in the morning." My dad says, throwing an m&m in his mouth.

"Okay!" I say, stuffing a few water bottles in my backpack before rushing out the door.

I open the garage, turning on the flashlight so I could see my old bike. It was red and dusty, and a little creaky. But it worked just fine. I wiped the dust off of the seat with my hand, sitting on it and pedaling into the night.

I made it to the intersection a few minutes later, and immediately saw the headlights of the boys bikes. It had started to rain, but I continued anyway.

"Hey!" I shouted out to them, careful not to shine the flashlight in their eyes.

"You came!" Mike pointed out in disbelief.

"Don't act so surprised." I reply as we approach the edge of the woods.

Dustin was rethinking his choices but I ushered him into the woods, both of us running to catch up with the other two.

"Will!" We all shouted as we searched through the foggy woods. It had started to rain down hard, and my jacket was soaked, but luckily not on the inside.

"What are we gonna do that the huge search party couldn't?" I ask out of nowhere as I peer through the trees.

"Maybe he's scared." Lucas suggests, "But, we're his best friends, he'll come out if we're here."

"Yeah, and we need to help." Mike adds, "Because he is our best friend, we need to help look for him as best we can."

"Guys, I really think we should turn back." Dustin shouts over the pouring rain.

"Seriously, Dustin?" Lucas yells, "You wanna be a baby, then go home already!"

"I'm just being realistic, Lucas!" Dustin bites back.