CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

Today I had decided to chill out a bit, considering that Max was mad at me, making me mad as well

Today I had decided to chill out a bit, considering that Max was mad at me, making me mad as well. I wasn't mad at her, just the fact that it was my fault.

I guess Lucas and her were arguing because we were keeping secrets, which I completely understood.

Dustin had tried to reach me by walkie-talkie earlier, calling my name, but before he could say anything else I turned it off.

Now I was sat in the living room, watching TV with my dad, my mom making food in the kitchen.

We were watching the Brady Bunch, and Peter was making some sort of volcano.

I've always had a crush on Peter Brady, and my dad knew this, so every time we watched the show he would point out, "Look, theres Peter!"

It made everyone laugh, but not this time. I was in a mood.

The phone started to ring, and my mom asked, "Lizzie, will you get that?"

"No." I answer.

"Elizabeth!" She exclaims, groaning. The phone stopped ringing, and I expected she had got it, "Hello?"

"That's what I used to look like." My dad joked, motioning to Greg.

"No you didn't." I reply.

"Liz, it's for you," My mom tells me, "It's Lucas," I let out a moan, crossing my arms over my chest, "He says it's really important."

I give in, standing up and taking the phone from my mom, "Yes, Lucas?"

"I did something kinda stupid," His voice says, "I need you to come over."

"What'd you do?" I question.

"Just-just come over. Right now!"

I hang up, a bit alarmed that Lucas was so panicky.

I go to my room, throwing on my coat and shoes before telling my parents I was going to Lucas' house.

|

Lucas' mom let's me in, and I head straight to his room, where he was pacing around.

"Oh! Lizzie!" He breathes out, before beginning to explain to me what he told Max at the arcade yesterday, "I...I told her about everything. Eleven, Ten, the Demogorgan. Don't be mad, please. I'm insane, I know. You don't have to tell me," he rambles, "They're gonna be pissed. No. You know what? It doesn't matter. She deserved to know. Right, Lizzie?" Before I could get a word out, he realizes something, "Wait, where's He-Man?"

"Lucas, that is totally off-topic." I shake my head, following Lucas as he storms into Erica's room. She was sat on her bed, making two doll's kiss. He rips the He-Man doll from Erica's hand, "I knew it."

"Hey! They're in love!" She yells.

"No, actually, they're not. They don't even exist on the same planet." Lucas argues.

"Aren't you to old to be playing with toys?" Erica questions, eyeing me.

Lucas sighs, "That's...that's not the point. The point is to stay out of my room."

We start to walk away, when Erica calls after us, "Then tell your little nerdy friend to shut his mouth!"

Lucas stops, reversing his steps, "What are you talking about?"

"'Code red, Lucas. Code red. Code red,'" She imitates, "Bunch of nerds," Lucas and I make eye contact, before running back to his room, Erica shouting, "Have fun with your girlfriend, Lukey!"

We ignore her, rushing over to Lucas' walkie-talkie, "Hurry up, turn it on!"

"I-I-I'm going as fast as I can!" He stutters, switching on the radio, "Dustin! This is Lucas, do you copy? Dustin?"

"Well, well, well. Look who it is." Dustin tuts.

"Sorry, man. My stupid sister turned it off." Lucas apologizes.

"Well, when you were having sister problems, Dart grew again, he escaped, and I'm pretty sure he's a baby Demogorgan." Dustin informs.

"Wait. What?" Lucas raises his eyebrows.

I take the walkie-talkie from Lucas, "Ha! I told you!"

He grabs it back, as Dustin asks, "Was that Liz?"

"Yeah. What were you saying?"

"I'll explain later. Just meet me and Steve at the old junkyard." Dustin orders.

"Steve?" Lucas questions.

"As in Harrington?" I butt in.

"And bring your binoculars and wrist rocket." Dustin continues, ignoring us.

"Steve Harrington?" Lucas quizzes.

"All right. Let's go." I hear the teen say faintly in the background.

"Just be there, stat. Over and out."

|

Lucas rode us over to Maxes house because he wanted to show her proof of everything he said since he had a feeling she didn't believe him.

He puts the kick-stand up on his bike, both of us making our way to the front door, Lucas ringing the door bell repeatedly.

Rock music was blaring from inside, and I couldn't help but think of Maxes step-brother.

The door opens, the red-head stood at the other side. She glances back at her brother who had his back turned, before stepping out, closing the door behind her, "What are you two doing here?"

"I have proof." Lucas states.

"What?" Max asks.

"Proof that what I told you was real. But we have to hurry." Lucas responds.

"Yeah, or Dustin'll have our asses." I joke.

She looks over at me, "What kind of proof?"

Lucas explains what we were going to do, and Max agrees to come, telling us to meet her around the side of the house.

I wait on the porch as Lucas runs down to get his bike, before pulling it up the steps and around the corner. The moment I was about to step off and follow him, the door opens, and I freeze in my tracks.

I look to see the same boy from yesterday, staring down at me, a hint of anger in his eyes, "Who the hell are you?"

I muster up a lie, crossing my arms over my chest, "A mormon."

He glances up at the sky, before down at me, chuckling, "Get outta here, toots."

"Yup. Sorry." I slowly start to walk down the steps, waiting for him to close the door.

As soon as he does, I race over to the side of the house, cursing Lucas for leaving me alone.

Max was sat on his bike, and I only follow behind, running to catch up with them.