CHAPTER FIVE

We all hop onto each bike, racing to follow the cars

We follow them closely through the dark night, only being able to see because of the lights in the front of our bikes. Mike was leading the way, and El was sat on the back of his bike.

We arrive to the spot, parking our bikes behind a fire truck and peeking around the side.

"It's not Will. It can't be." Mike shakes his head, but I had other thoughts.

We watch closely as they bring the body out of the water, and they slowly start to come to a realization, "It's Will. It's really Will."

My eyes start to water. I never really talked to that boy, but I did know that he was smart, and kind, and just an amazing person, who most definitely did not deserve this.

"Mike-" Eleven starts, trying to comfort the boy by putting a hand on his shoulder.

"'Mike'? 'Mike,' what? You both were supposed to help us find him alive. You said he was alive!" Mike yells, "Why did you lie to us? What's wrong with you? What is wrong with you?"

Both girls' lips begin to tremble, and all El can mutter is a "Mike..."

"What?" Mike snaps, but she says nothing more.

"Mike, come on," Lucas cries, "Don't do this, man. Mike..."

"Mike, where are you going?" Dustin asks, his voice cracking.

"Hey, Mike," I sniffle, trying to run and catch up to him, "Mike, no, let's just-"

"Just what? Talk about it? How about you talk about it with your new best friends, Ten and Eleven, the weirdos." Mike spits.

I immediately close my mouth, sinking away from Mike.

He picks up his bike, turning it around and riding off, leaving us to sulk behind.

|

I sat silently on my bed. Ten was on the floor, doodling with my colored pencils and some sheets of paper.

I was trying to finish up some homework, while trying to wrap my head around the fact that Will Byers was dead.

I had come home that night, my eyes puffy and watery. I helped Ten through the window before biking to Mike's, knocking lightly on his basement door.

The door creaks open, and a red faced Mike stares back at me.

"Hey." I breathe out, walking past him and inside.

Eleven was messing with his walkie talkie in her blanket fort, and Mike was now standing with his arms crossed, looking expectantly back at me.

"You feeling better?" I ask, rubbing my arms.

"A little," Mike sighs, dropping his arms, "It's just so dumb, you know? Why would they lie to us about where he was. Just-why!"

Mike's eyes had started to water again, so I did what felt right. I scooped Mike into my arms, hugging him tightly. He hugged back, sobbing into my neck.