CHAPTER SIXTEEN

"Hey, Max," I call, making her turn her head to me

"Hey, Max," I call, making her turn her head to me. I quickly catch up to her, holding my bag as it swings behind me, "Sorry about the boys, they are...something else."

She chuckles, "Weirdo's."

"I guess, but that's what I like about them," I smile to myself, shrugging, "Anyways, I wanted to ask if you actually do want to come with us. Lucas and Dustin were being creepy about it, but I'd like it if you came."

Max stares at her skateboard that was clutched in her hand, "I do really want them full-sized candy bars," She jokes, "I'll think about it."

"Okay, see you, then." I wave, pushing through the exit doors. Mike, Lucas, and Dustin were standing at the bike rack, holding up their bikes.

"Finally!" Dustin exclaims.

"If I had to listen to them talk about that Max girl one more time I was gonna shoot my head off." Mike grumbles, hopping on his bike but not going anywhere.

"Oh, please. I had to deal with the four of you complaining about your costumes all because you decided not to listen to me," I retort, the rest of us getting on our bikes as we all start to ride away, "I mean, how did you guys just not think about what I said? You had to have at least asked yourself if I was telling the truth for a second, right?"

In the corner of my eye I see Mike roll his eyes to the boys, making me silently laugh.

After a little more riding and light banter, Dustin brings back the subject of the costumes, "Really, everyone dressed up last year."

"Okay, so? That was 7th grade." I state. Dustin shrugs in response.

"Hey, guys." Dustin shouts, gaining our attention.

I follow his gaze behind us, finding that a blue car was racing towards us at full speed, "Holy shit!"

All of us were screaming over each other, pedaling as fast as our legs would go. We weave ourselves into a small clear patch on the side of the road, and at the same time the car swerves around us. I glance at the blue vehicle, seeing a flash of red hair, before it continues down the street.

"Holy shit!" Dustin shrieks.

I feel a hand on my arm, and I quickly look over to see Mike staring at me, concern written in his eyes, "Elizabeth. Jesus. Are you okay?"

"Yeah." I nod firmly, before bending down to help Dustin off the ground.

"Was that..." The curly haired boy trails, panting like the rest of us.