CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

Max and Lucas were sweeping up the broken glass on the floor, Mike was pacing around, Dustin and Steve were doing god knows what in the kitchen, and I was sat on the ground, leaning my head against the wall as I watched everyone in silence

"Mike, would you just stop already?" Lucas snaps.

"You weren't in there, okay, Lucas? That lab is swarming with hundreds of those dogs." Mike reasons.

"Demo-dogs!" Dustin shouts from the kitchen as him and Steve walk into the living room.

"The chief will take care of them." Lucas states.

"Like they need protection." Max mutters.

"Listen, dude, a coach calls a play in a game, bottom line, you execute it. All right?" Steve interjects, wiping his hands with a dish towel.

"Okay, first of all, this isn't some stupid sports game. And second, we're not even in the game. We're on the bench." Mike rejoinder's.

"Ri-y-so, my point is...Right, yeah, we're on the bench, so, uh, there's nothing we can do." Steve stammers, whipping the towel over his shoulder.

"Idiot." I mumble, still leaning my head against the wall as I watch the interaction.

"That's not entirely true," Dustin counters, "I mean, these Demo-dogs, they have a hive-mind. When they ran away from the bus, they were called away."

"So, if we get their attention..." Lucas trails.

"Maybe we can draw them from the lab." Max realizes.

"And clear a path to the gate." Mike finishes.

"The girls would get their safely." I join in.

"Yeah, and then we all die." Steve cuts in.

"That's one point of view." Dustin responds.

"No, that's not a point of view, man. That's a fact." Steve bickers back.

Mike then gasps, shoving between Steve and Dustin. I stand up, following everyone else to where Mike led them. It was a spot on the map of the tunnels dug under Hawkins. The map went all the way around the house, "This is where the chief dug his hole. This is our way into the tunnels. So..." He stand's up, going back to where we were before. In the middle of the floor was a big space, and Mike pointed to it, "Here, right here. This is like a hub. So you got all the tunnels feeding in here. Maybe if we set this on fire..."

"Oh, yeah? That's a no." Steve is quick to deny.

"The mind flayer would call away his army." Dustin states.

"They'd all come to stop us." Lucas adds.

"Hey."

"Then we circle back to the exit." Mike shares.