CHAPTER TWENTY

The next morning I woke up to a squirming Max, and I sit up, rubbing my eyes as I watch the girl toss again

I chuckle quietly, getting out of bed and going into my bathroom, brushing my teeth.

I could hear my bed creak, before a groggy Max shuffles into the bathroom, giving me a crooked smile, her toothbrush in her hand.

I let Max get changed before I go in myself, pulling on my jeans and a blue button up, spraying my Baby Soft perfume on after.

We finish getting ready, then head downstairs with our school things, my mom in the kitchen, holding a sizzling pan, "Good morning, girls!"

"Hi." Max greets as my mom slides the contents of the pan on a plate, setting it down in front of us.

I pick up the steaming bacon, but throw it down immediately, letting out a grunt, Max laughing at the event.

"Any new gossip lately?" My mom asks, lighting a cigarette and inhaling. I roll my eyes as Max laughs, "Hm? Any boyfriends?"

"Max likes Lucas." I shrug, earning a smack from the girl.

"Your Lucas?" She asks me with a gasp, "Really?"

"I think I might..." She trails, picking up a piece of bacon and biting down.

"How cute!" She gushes, "You and Lucas and Elizabeth and Mike."

I put a hand on my face, "Mom, shut up."

"What?" She squeals, "Oh, Max, you should have seen how red they got when Dusti-"

"Let's get to school! Don't wanna be late!" I intervene, grabbing more bacon and rushing out of the house, Max giggling behind me. I get on my bike as Max rides her skateboard, "Jeez, she's embarrassing. Oh, and don't worry. She'll keep your secret."

"I like your mom," Max smiles, "She seems really cool."

"When she wants to be." I joke.

|

As soon as we got to school, Mike and Lucas were there, handing us poking sticks and guiding us over to the back of the school so we could look for d'Artagnan.

After pulling straws, Lucas had gotten the shortest one, meaning he had to search through the dumpster.

Lucas slowly climbs over the dirty frame of the trash pit, hesitating to jump inside.

"Stop being a baby and do it already!" Mike demands, clearly irritated.

Lucas huffs out a breath, sending us a glare over his shoulder before going the rest of the way in.

"This is so disgusting. Is this really necessary?" Max voices, scrunching up her face at the fatal smell.

"What the hell's going on?" Dustin asks as his figure jogs around the corner, glancing at all of us in confusion.