CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

We were now walking up the hill that led to the all to familiar junk yard, and when we made it to the top I spot two people not to far away

"I said medium-well!" Lucas shouts over, making our presence known.

We walk over to the boys, and immediately Dustin pulls Lucas over behind a car while Max and I start leaning pieces of metal against a bus.

A loud clang makes me jump, and I look over to see Steve scolding Lucas and Dustin, "Hey! Dickheads! How come the only ones helping me out are these random girls? We loose light in 40 minutes. Let's go. Let's go, I said!"

"All right, asshole! God!"

"Okay! Stupid."

"Yo, Harrington!" I yell, picking up a piece of metal and holding it up like a bat, "Call me a random girl again and you'll be the one loosing light."

Dustin and Lucas laugh as Steve rolls his eyes, taking the scrap of metal out of my hand and setting it down, "Sorry, Elizabeth."

|

In those 40 minutes of daylight, we had set the pieces of metal up so the bus was completely covered, inside and out.

Steve was leaving a trail of gasoline from a pile of meat chunks to the doors of the bus, and I helped Max get a ladder into the vehicle, setting it up in the broken fire exit on the roof, so you could climb up there for a look out.

It was now dark, and I was huddled in the corner of the bus, to scared to tell everyone I was afraid of the dark.

Lucas was on the top part of the bus, watching for Dart with his binoculars, and Steve, Dustin, Max, and I were inside. Steve was turning his lighter on and off while Dustin paced.

"So, you really fought one of these things before?" Max asks Steve, her arms crossed as she sat on one of the bus seats. Steve nods in response, "And you're, like, totally, 100% sure it wasn't a bear?"

"Shit. Don't be an idiot. Okay? It wasn't a bear," Dustin snaps, taking me by surprise, "Why are you even here if you don't believe us? Just go home."

Max sits up, beginning to climb up the ladder, "Geesh. Someone's cranky. Past your bedtime?"

"What the hell, dude?" I scoff when she had made it all the way up and out of earshot.

Dustin says nothing, only rolls his eyes.

"That's good," Steve confirms, "Just show her you don't care."

"I don't," Dustin mutters. Steve only winks at him, "Why are you winking, Steve? Stop."

I shake my head, not understanding at all, "What are you guys talking about?"

"Uh. Nothing." Steve quickly says, focusing back on his lighter.