CHAPTER SIX

Dustin locks the door behind us as we all cram into the AV room, Eleven taking a seat while Ten stands beside her

"Now what?" Dustin asks.

"They'll find him," Mike answers, turning up the frequency on the radio, "Right, guys?"

I give Ten the water bottle and she pours it out on her hand. I've came up with the assumption that Ten's powers only work when she is touching some type of liquid.

The two girls close their eyes, the only noise was the slow dripping of the water sliding off of Ten's palm.

"They're doing it," Mike points out in glee, "They're finding him!"

"This is crazy." Dustin states.

"Calm down. They just closed their eyes." Lucas murmurs.

Just as Lucas finishes saying that, the lights blink out, and we all gasp.

"Holy..." Dustin trails.

"This is weird." I claim as I stare up at the light.

You couldn't see past anyone's shoulders, and I'm not going to lie, I'm scared of the pitch black. I grasp onto Mike's hand, breathing deeply.

Mike looks to me, but doesn't make any move to let go, he just looks to El and Ten like rest of us were doing.

A loud clanging comes from the Heathkit, and Dustin leans his head closer, "What is that?"

"It sounds like someone's...stomping." I whisper.

The yelling of Will Byers scared voice comes over the large radio, and we all scream Will's name, thinking that he'd be able to hear.

"Hello? Mom?" Will whimpers.

"Why can't he hear us?" Lucas asks.

"I don't know." Mike snaps.

We listen as Will and a woman I presume to be his mother have a horrific conversation. Will wails that 'it's' coming as his mother asks how she can get to him, "It's like home, but it's so dark-It's so dark and empty. And it's cold! Mom? Mom!"

I grip onto Mike's hand harder, both of us shaking in fear.

We listen to the screaming and yelling of the son and mother as she tells Will to run, promising she will find him.

The Heathkit sparks, catching fire as the light shines back on.

Dustin grabs the fire extinguisher, quickly putting out the fire before we all try and catch our breaths.

"El, are you okay?" Mike asks, letting go of my hand as I run to Ten's side.

"Hey, you alright?" I ask softly, checking her while she opens her eyes.

She stares at the radio, shaking in fear, her face starting to turn a grey color.

"Are-are you scared of fire?" I ask, rubbing her arms, trying to calm her down. Her eyes struggle to stay open, and her legs fall limp, but I quickly catch her in my arms, "Hey! Dustin! Help me out!"

I noticed that Eleven was the same way as we helped them both onto a rolling cart, Mike and Lucas pushing them down the halls as Dustin and I follow behind.

|

Eleven and Ten were cuddled up together on Mike's couch as the rest of us were spread out against the different chairs.

"What was Will saying?" Mike asks, "Like home...like home...but dark?"

"And empty." Lucas adds.

"Empty and cold," Dustin recalls, "Wait, did he say cold?"

"I don't know," Lucas grumbles, who sat on the armrest of the chair I was sitting on, "The stupid radio kept going in and out."

"It's like riddles in the dark." Dustin sighs.

"Like home. Like his house?" Mike suggests.

"Or maybe like Hawkins." Lucas points out.

"So, he's seeing Hawkins, but it's dark, cold, and empty?" I scratch the back of my neck.

"Upside down." Eleven softly utters.

"What'd she say?" Lucas asks.

"Upside down." I repeat.

"What?" Lucas questions.

"Upside down," Mike repeats for him once again, sitting down at the table with the game board, and we follow suit as Mike flips the board over, right side up, "When El and Ten showed us where Will was, El flipped the board over, remember? Upside down. Dark. Empty."

"Do you understand what he's talking about?" Lucas asks Dustin and I, his eyes narrowed.

"No."

"Yes."

"Guys, come on, think about it," Mike pleads, "When they took us to find Will, they took us to his house, right?"

"Yeah. And he wasn't there." Lucas shrugs.

"But El said he was hiding," I recall, "Maybe he was hiding, in the Upside Down. That's why we can't see him, and that's why he said it was like home."

"What if this is Hawkins and..." Mike flips the board over to the blank side, "this is where Will is? The Upside Down."

"Like the Vale of Shadows." Dustin compares.

"The what?" I ask in complete confusion.

"Nothing." Lucas mutters.

A/N: sorry it's short!