CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

"Hello?" I hear a voice shout from outside the tree line, "Who's there?"

We appear out of the woods, and two teens were stood there, staring right back at us, "Steve?"

"Nancy?" Steve asks.

"Jonathan." Dustin realizes.

"What are you doing here?" Nancy asks.

"What are you doing here?" Steve repeats.

"We're looking for Mike and Will." Nancy answers.

"Wait, are they in there?" I question, my blood running cold at the thought of them stuck in the lab with those monsters.

"We're not sure." Nancy replies.

"Why?" Jonathan inquiries.

The monsters screeching from inside the building is the only answer they need, the sound echoing loudly through my ears.

|

We were all trying to figure things out, throwing out random things that we thought might help.

"The powers back." Nancy points out, pushing out of the small circle we had made.

We run to the gates of the lab, Jonathan rushing into the small spot that the guard stays in, pushing the button that opens it numerous times, but nothing works.

"Let me try." Dustin orders Jonathan.

"Hang on-"

Dustin shoves Jonathan out of the way, "Let me try, Jonathan!" He does the same thing Jonathan does, and it still doesn't work for some 'odd' reason, "Son of a bitch! You know what..." We stood there in complete silence, the only noise being the clicking of the button and and a curse from Dustin. Finally, the gate slides open, "Hey! I got it! I got it!"

Jonathan and Nancy go off to get everyone else, leaving us stuck waiting, and my nerves were skyrocketing.

I sat in the guard booth, turning the flashlight on and off, when Max says, "Guys."

I stand up, peering through the glass, when I see two cars swerve around the corner.

"Get out of the way!" I yell to everyone else, who stood in the middle of the road.

Jonathan's car continues down the street, the Chief's truck stopping in front of us, "Let's go."

We scurry into the truck, Steve getting in the passenger seat while the rest of us climb into the back.

|

As soon as I got out of the vehicle, I find Mike, pulling him into a hug, "Jesus, Mike. I was so scared."

He chuckles, "I'm sorry for what I said earlier, I was just...in a mood."

I nod, pulling away, "Its alright."