CHAPTER FOURTEEN

I hoist my bag onto my shoulder, walking into the school halls and immediately seeing Will opening up his locker

I make my way to him, watching as he pulls out a piece of paper.

"Hey Will." I greet, looking down at the paper. It was a ripped out piece of news letter, with Will's face, although the eyes had been scratched out, and across it 'Zombie Boy' was written in green.

He stuffs it in his locker, gulping and looking down at his shoes.

Mike runs up, greeting us with a smile, denying me the chance to ask Will about the paper, since I didn't want to bring it up around Mike.

Will and Mike chat as we walk down to Mr. Clarke's class, Will and I holding eye contact the whole time.

|

I kick my feet, looking boringly down at my pencil which I held in my hands.

Mr. Clarke was talking about brain cells when the door opens, and a girl with ginger hair and a skateboard in her clutch walks in with the principal.

"Ah, this must be our new student." Mr. Clarke beams, as always.

"Indeed it is. All yours." The principal nods, before walking out.

"All right. Hold up, there," He holds out his hand, stopping the girl with his voice, "You don't get away that easy. Come on up. Don't be shy," She rolls her eyes, shuffling up next to the desk, "Dustin, drum roll," Dustin pats his textbook, "Class, please welcome, all the way from sunny California, the latest passenger to join us on our curiosity voyage, Maxine."

"It's Max." The girl corrects.

"Sorry?" Mr. Clarke asks, furrowing his eyebrows.

Max? Max. That sounds familiars

"Nobody calls me Maxine. It's Max." She repeats with a hint of sass.

"Well, all aboard, Max." Mr. Clarke smiles, letting the girl find her seat which was all the way in the back.

Mike smacks my arm.

"Ow!" I hiss.

"Mad Max." He whispers, making me come to a realization.

She's the person who has top score on DigDug. Who beat Dustin.

We all turn, staring at the new girl. Mad Max.