CHAPTER TEN

We make it to the Byers house and immediately Mike is embraced by his sister, Nancy

Her eyes then find her way to Eleven and Ten, "Are those my clothes?"

|

After Mike had explained the acrobat and flea situation to the rest of them, he tells them, "Mr. Clarke said the only way to get there is through a rip of time and space."

"A gate." Lucas shortens.

"That we tracked to Hawkins Lab." I add.

"With our compasses," Dustin finishes. Joyce's eyes widen, "Okay, so the gate has a really strong electromagnetic field, and that can change the directions of a compass needle."

"Is this gate underground?" The chief asks.

"Yes." Eleven answers.

"Near a large water tank?" Chief questions.

"Yes." Ten nods.

"H-how did you know all that?" Dustin stammers.

"He's seen it." Mike realizes.

"Is there anyway that you could...that you could reach Will? That you could talk to him in this-" Joyce starts.

"The Upside Down." Ten corrects.

"Down. Yeah." Joyce softly says.

El nods.

"And my friend Barbara?" Nancy asks, "Can you find her, too?"

"Barbara," Ten tries the name out on her tongue, nodding, "Yes."

|

We all surrounded the Byers dining room table as Ten had her feet dunked in a bowl of water, her and El focusing on trying to contact Will.

The lights had started flickering, causing me to take my eyes off of the staticky walkie-talkie and now train my eyes on Ten and Eleven.

"I'm sorry." Ten whispers.

"Wha-what's wrong? What happened?" Joyce asks.

"We can't find them." Eleven cries out, her voice breaking.

The girls go to the bathroom to wash up as the boys and I crowd around the table, Mike points out, "Whenever they use their powers, they get weak."

"The more energy they use, the more tired they get." Dustin explains.

"Like, El flipped the van earlier." Lucas mentions.

"Or when Ten picked the other one up with her mind and threw it into a mailbox." I add.

"They were both awesome." Dustin cuts in with a nod.

"But they're drained." Mike elaborates.

"Like a bad battery." Dustin compares.