CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

I was sat next to Mike, my head on his shoulder, when I heard someone mumble, "Nancy?"

I lift my head up, peering over to Steve, "Great, he's awake."

Steve groans, lifting his hand up to his face, but Dustin pushes it away, "No, don't touch it. Hey, buddy...shh, shh. It's okay, you put up a good fight. He kicked your ass, but you put up a good fight, buddy. Okay? You're okay."

"Okay, you're gonna keep straight for a half a mile, then make a left on Mount Sinai." Lucas directs Max, who was the one driving.

"What's going on?" Steve asks. His eyes meet with Maxes, and he starts to freak out, "Oh, my god!"

"Steve, just relax. She's driven before." Dustin coos.

"Yeah, in a parking lot." Mike reasons.

"That still counts!" I defend.

"Oh, my god!" Steve moans.

"They were gonna leave you behind. But, I promised that you'd be cool, okay?" Dustin tells Steve.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. What's going on?" Steve yells as the car begins to pick up speed, "Oh, my god! No! Whoa! Stop the car. Slow down."

"I told you he'd freak out." Mike scolds Dustin over Steve's loud screams.

"Stop the car!" Steve shouts.

"Everybody shut up!" Max hollers, "I'm trying to focus!"

"Oh, wait, that's Mount Sinai. Make a left!" Lucas orders Max.

"What?"

"Make a left!"

The car runs over a mailbox, before swerving to the side and down the road as everyone let's out a shriek.

|

The car stops abruptly, and Mike and I unlatch from each other's arms awkwardly.

"Incredible." Mike breathes out.

"Told you. Zoomer." Max asserts, putting the car in park before taking out the key.

We then all scramble out of the car, and to the trunk, where everything was being kept.

Lucas opens the trunk and we all reach in. I grab a light yellow bandana, pulling it over my mouth and tying it behind my neck as Steve falls out of the car with a grunt, "Guys. Oh, no. Guys."

I put a pair of blue goggles over my head, before grabbing the rope. Mike grabs the gasoline, before following me to the other side of car.

"Hey! Hey where do you two think your going?" Steve yells as we pass by, ignoring him, "What are you, deaf? Hello? We are not going down there right now. I made myself clear."

I begin to knot the rope around the bottom of Billy's car, pulling it tight.

Mike grabs the rope, leading the way down as we follow him. He throws it down the hole, before jumping in himself. The rest of us follow suit, and Mike hands me the gasoline as he takes the map from his pocket.