8. Car Ride With Future Bride

Evan

"Sir, Miss. Grey is here." Gabe told me and I prepared myself for Helena's drama. I knew that by know, the news of my marriage to Scarlet would have reached her and knowing her, she won't waste another minute before barging in here.

"Send her in," I said and continued reading the contract papers of a deal.

After few seconds, Helena stormed inside with a scowl plastered on her face. She seated herself in front of me and then crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"So, is it true? Is the Evan Parker getting married?" she asked sarcastically while assessing me with her green eyes.

"Yes, it is true." I lifted my head for a moment and then lowered it to the file again.

"Why? When I asked you out, you clearly said that you don't want to be romantically involved with anyone. What changed now?" Her voice was filled with hurt and indignation.

"Nothing changed, Helena. This marriage is just for Cara's sake. She needs a mother." I replied honestly.

"You know I love Cara. Then why some random girl and not me?" she demanded as she leaned forwards and glared at me.

"Because marrying me would have ruined your life." I explained to her as shortly as possible.

Her expression changed from anger to confusion and then back to anger. "You are a hypocrite, Evan. I pity that girl because she has no idea what an inconsiderate person you are!" she insulted me in her signature calm and relaxed way.

Her words hurt me a little but I not-so-subtly ignored them. "If you are done talking, can you leave me alone? I have some work to do." I said dryly.

She looked murderous and I feared if she would throw something at me but thankfully, she didn't. Mumbling something under her breath, she stood up and stomped out of my office, with her heels clicking on the marbled floor.

.........

I left the office early today. It was four days before my supposed wedding with Scarlet Ray so I had preponed my one-day visit to New York. I had my flight at midnight so I decided to go to my house early so I can take a shower and freshen myself.

Once I walked through the door, the sound of talking and giggling reached my ears. Confused, I made my way inside the dining room and found my mother, Scarlet and Cara busy in a nonsense conversation there.

"Evan, you're early today?" Mom asked when she noticed me and beside her, Scarlet stiffened.

"Yeah, I have a flight. I am leaving for New York tonight." I said and sat myself on one of the seats and ordered Kelly to bring me something to eat. I didn't take breakfast today so by now, my stomach was grumbling.

"Come on, young man. Take a few days off before your wedding." Mom said.

"Why in God's name would I take any vacation? It's my wedding, not my funeral." I said while I watched Kelly place a plate of sandwich in front of me.

"I am sure you won't take a day off even on your own funeral." My mother grumbled and both Scarlet and Cara let out a chuckle, earning a frown from me.

"Dad," Cara called me after a minute and I turned towards her. "Scarlet bought her wedding dress today. She looked really pwetty in that."

My eyes switched to Scarlet who was staring at me with her signature kind smile gracing her mouth. "I am sure she did," I said to act natural in front of Cara. Hearing this, crimson color appeared on Scarlet's face and her dimples deepened.

It wasn't completely a lie because she was beautiful. She didn't particularly have 'sexy' or 'hot' looks but she had attractive features. Most of the times I saw her, she wore baggy sweatshirts and jeans that never revealed any skin but her fashion sense, although mellow, was overall good.

A cough from my side pulled me out of the trance and I realised I had been staring at her for too long. Mom had a teasing expression on her face which soured my already irritated mood. Drawing my eyebrows closer, I lowered my head and began eating the sandwich from my plate.

"I should leave now." Scarlet stood up and held the shopping bags in her hands.

"How will you go?" Mom asked her.

"I'll catch a cab." she said.

"Why cab? Evan will drop you home." she said and I choked on the sandwich.

Why in hell would I drop her home?

"I'm sure she would be fine." I told my mother in an irritated voice. "Besides, I have given my driver a day off because of the flight."

"Yes, I'll be fine." Scarlet said.

"If the driver isn't here, drive the car yourself. Cara sweetie, don't you think Daddy should drive Scarlet back?" My controlling mother asked Cara who nodded innocently.

Grunting angrily, I threw daggers at Mom who just smirked at me in return. Leaving the sandwich half-eaten, I asked Scarlet to follow me out of the house.

"You don't have to drive me back." Her flustered voice came from behind me.

"Well, clearly I have to," I replied as I slid onto the driver seat. Slowly, she made her way to the passenger seat and placed the bags in the backseat.

While I drove the car, Scarlet kept playing with her fingers, while her feet tapped the car repeatedly. She told me her address and I turned the car towards the busy area of the city.

"Are you upset with me?" she finally asked after being a nervous mess for the whole drive. The panic in her voice forced me to feel pity for her because she was clearly not a person used to any dry behaviour.

"No." I commented. "It's my mother who just keeps manipulating me."

"That is because she wants your best." she defended her in her absence.

"Really? Do you know her as much as I do?" I asked when the car stopped at a signal and I turned to her.

She gulped for a moment and then replied, "No, but I know that I would do anything to go back to the time when my mother was alive and hug her for every time I misbehaved with her."

Her words disturbed me because as much I hate to admit, she was right. Controlling or not, she was my only family left beside Cara and losing her would be a hell for me.

But instead of telling that to her, I snarled instead. "Whatever."

A frown appeared on her forehead but instead of saying anything, she looked away. This girl had a lot of patience. She knew when to fight and when to shut up, and I had a feeling I would enjoy pushing her buttons.

Sighing, I turned my focus back to the road and drove the car towards the address she just told me.

____________________________