59. The New Addition

Evan

The doctor had advised us to wait outside while she assess her. It has been thirty minutes since Cara and I were outside our room, holding our breaths. When she finally came out, I leapt towards her and asked impatiently about Scarlet.

"She is now awake and perfectly fine, Mr. Parker." The doctor told me and a creepy smile was etched on her face. "And I have a good news."

"Good news?" I narrowed my eyes.

"Your wife is pregnant." She said and suddenly, I stopped hearing whatever else she was saying.

Pregnant. The word echoed in my ears and the first thing that came to my mind was Eliza and what the pregnancy did to her. She bled to death while giving birth and I couldn't imagine the same happening to Scarlet.

"Is she alright?" I asked.

"Yes, you can meet her." She said and immediately, I hopped inside the room and found her lying on the bed, looking slightly pale.

"Oh my God, are you alright?" I reached her and knelt beside her. Leaning forwards, I kissed her forehead and gripped her small hand in mine.

"Yes," she smiled and put her hand against my cheek. "Did you hear what the doctor said? We are going to have a baby." Her eyes filled with tears of happiness and so did mine. The only difference was in my tears, the dominating factor was the worry for her health.

Yes, I would love to have mini Scarlets chirping around the house but not on the expense of her life. She was too precious for me and I couldn't imagine any harm to her.

"Are you happy?" She asked, staring into my eyes with her warm gaze.

"I am," I said and pecked her lips again.

"D... Daddy, is Mama okay?" Cara's worried voice erupted from behind.

Scarlet motioned her to come towards us and when she did, I seated her down beside Scarlet on the bed. "Mama is alright, Cara. And you know what? You are going to have a little brother or sister soon."

"Really?" Cara exclaimed. It took her a minute to understand and once she did, she started clapping with her hands.

"Yes." Scarlet said.

"A little one? Those with little fingers and short, chubby legs?" She asked in an enthusiastic voice.

"Yes, exactly those." Scarlet replied.

"Yay!!!" Cara screamed and jumped out of the bed in excitement. "We will call it Caru if it's a boy and Cari if it's a girl."

Both Scarlet and I chuckled at the names she had chosen for her sibling and exchanged a look. I caressed Scarlet's hair and smiled, although my stomach was twisted in knots. I didn't want my fears to ruin this happiness for her so I excused myself and went to the bathroom. Locking myself inside, I sat over the edge of the bathtub and hid my face in between my palms.

............

"Scarlet, finish the bowl." I ordered and she made a sour face.

"Evan, I am done. I am not hungry anymore." She whined and slid the tray away.

"Finish it. You are pregnant. You need to take care of your diet now. I don't want you to black out again." I said and picked up the bowl. Filling the spoon with the soup, I extended my hand towards her. Groaning in complain, she finally opened her mouth and led me slid it inside.

"You aren't letting me do anything and just keep on feeding me. I am just pregnant Evan, it's not like I am dying." She said and the bitter feeling in my stomach returned.

"Don't... Don't ever say that again." I snarled, suppressing my anger.

"What happened?" She asked with confusion dripping from her face.

"Just don't talk like that. And finish the soup." I handed her the tray containing the bowl.

She put it aside and rose to sitting position. "Evan, what happened?" She said and cupped my face in between her palms. "Since the doctor left, you're looking distressed. Are you not happy with this child? Is it too soon?"

"No, that's not... Shit." I slapped my forehead for not being able to hide my concerns. An emotionally unstable person was the last thing she needed right now. "I am happy, Scarlet. God knows I am. But..."

"But?" She asked, a worried scowl on her face.

"I am afraid to lose you." I said, feeling helpless and weak. I was supposed to be her strength, not the other way around.

"Afraid to lose me? You aren't going to lose me, Evan." She told me in her gentle voice.

"I know. But what happened to Eliza..."

"I am not Eliza. What happened to her won't happen to me. These are two different pregnancies, with hopefully two different outcomes." She said like a teacher explaining something to her student.

"I don't want to take any risk." I said and picked up the bowl of soup once more.

"So what? You are gonna feed me until I am too heavy to move?" She asked, raising her eyebrows.

"Maybe." I joked to lighten the environment. "I am sure you would look cute as fuck when you put on that baby weight."

"Yeah, right." She rolled her eyes, not believing me.

I moved the spoon towards her and she opened her mouth to drink it, making a disgusted face at the taste. "It has all the essential ingredients needed for a pregnant woman." I said and she stuck her tongue out, swallowing the liquid. "Good girl." I said and pecked her lips once again.

After she finished the bowl, I cozied into the blanket with her, pulling her to my chest. "What do you want? Boy or girl?" I whispered.

"Honestly? I want a mini Evan, just as stubborn as you are." She said, wrapping her arms around my torso.

"I am not stubborn." I defended myself.

"You are, and I like your stubbornness." She chuckled against my arm. "What about you? Girl or boy?"

"Doesn't matter. I just want to be there for the child and not repeat the mistakes I did with Cara." I said. I missed every milestone of Cara's childhood because I was too busy in my work. This time, this child and my family would be my first priority.

"You'll be a great Dad to that kid. I am sure." She said and placed a kiss above the hollow of my neck.

"And you will be a great mother, just like you are with Cara. You are a born mother, Scarlet. People like you don't need a child to prove their maternal instincts." I said and leaned my head to kiss her silky hair.

"I love you." She lifted her head to look directly into my eyes and whispered.

"I love you too." I repeated and nuzzled my nose against hers. "And I am going to spoil you so much during this pregnancy. Whatever you want, whatever you need; your words, my command."

"You know what I want right now?" She whispered against my lips, her voice deep and sensuous.

"What?" I muttered under my breath.

"Chocolate chip Ice cream." She said and pulled away from me, a teasing smirk on her face.

I laughed in response and then pulled her back for a long, heated make out session. Once we both were breathing mess, I pulled away from her and hopped out of the bed saying, "One tub of chocolate chip ice-cream coming right up."

_______________________________

Aww. These two are so cute.