24. Torn By The Memories

Evan

It was about 10 at night. A heap of files were assembled in front of me and I had to review each one of them yet. I had the whole day but I couldn't focus. My whole attention was focused on Nate and his attempts of charming the clothes off Scarlet.

I had known Nate from childhood and I never liked him. Well, he didn't like me either but it didn't matter. He was a dick who considered every woman a game, a prize, an addition in the list of girls he had slept with.

People like him thinks every other man is just like him. That's why he couldn't handle when he found out that Eliza and I were in a relationship. He always considered it a plan of mine to seek revenge from him.

I don't want Scarlet to be used in our petty rivalry. She is too pure to understand people like Nate. For him to leave her alone, I had to make sure he knew she was mine, whether it's true or not. I needed to claim her otherwise he won't stop trying. That's why he couldn't know the truth of our marriage, at any cost.

"I didn't think I would live to see this day. Evan Parker lost in thoughts, ignoring the heap of files in front of him." Helena's annoying voice chirped and I rolled my eyes.

"I was not lost in any thoughts." I replied, opening the first file and went straight to the summary page.

"If you say so," she said and went to the windows to stare out. "Scarlet told me about Nate's arrival."

"You look excited. Are you planning on sleeping with him again?" I asked and she turned around with widened eyes.

"I was drunk that night. I don't even like him." she defended but I knew her. If she wants someone, she doesn't stop until she has slept with him or her. Once it happens, she loses interest in that person. Fortunately for her, Nate was also not interested in calling her again so it worked out well.

"Besides, it's not me you should be worried about. Scarlet seemed quite fond of him." she said and a muscle in my chest ticked.

"It doesn't matter to me," I said, ignoring the grief that filled me.

"I know. I mean if you did, you won't, be sitting here at 10, leaving your wife alone to be wooed by him." she smirked and my mind imagined different scenarios of Scarlet being seduced by that devil.

Yes I said that she can be with anyone but not him. She deserve better than him, much better.

"I need to go," I said and asked Gabe to collect all the files. When I found Helena giggling, I cast an annoyed glance at her. "It's not because I am jealous."

"Of course." Her smirk deepened at this.

...........

Asking George to park the car, I rushed inside the mansion. The sound of chuckling pulled me to the lounge where Scarlet and Nate were sitting, talking about the TV show that they were watching. She looked so carefree that I wished I could be in his place right now. But I didn't have time to sit there with her and watch some stupid TV show. Is that what she wants? To have someone who could indulge in such time-wasting hobbies with her?

The distance between Scarlet and Nate's seat angered me and I cleared my throat to make them aware of my presence.

"Hello Nate," I acknowledged him with a fake smile. "Good evening, sweetheart. I missed you." I walked behind Scarlet and leaned down to rest my head on her shoulder. She froze for a second, then probably remembered what I had said to her in the morning.

"Same," she whispered. She smelled nice, like lavenders and roses. I nuzzled my nose against her neck to inhale more of her calming scent and closed my eyes. The urge to just stay like that overwhelmed me. Her skin was soft and warm, making me lose all the control I had.

"He is gone," she mumbled but I didn't hear. I felt too sleepy. Maybe there was something in her perfume, a drug that would make you feel sleepy by inhaling it.

"Evan, Nate is gone. You can stop acting." she said and her words pulled me out of the trance. I pulled away and looked down at her; her cheeks were tinted with red blush and she was trying her best not to look at me. That's what I liked the most about her; making her blush was the easiest thing. Just go near her and she flushes like a tomato.

"Great," I said and made my way to the room.

After taking a long shower to wash away my exhaustion, I made my way back into the room. Scarlet was standing in front of the mirror, combing her soft hair. She was wearing the same nightgown. No matter how many times I have seen her in it, the sight of her legs still made me excited in all the wrong places. It makes me want to put her over the dressing table and make love to her until she screams my name.

And then Eliza's picture on the night stand takes me back to my senses and reminds me that I love her. What I feel for this new girl is just temporary attraction.

Shaking my head to clear these thoughts, I settled on the bed under the cozy blanket. Scarlet joined me too, with a book in her hand. She hasn't even given me a glance and it was quite different from her usual chirpy self. She always asks me how was my day and other such things to initiate small talk.

"How was your day?" I asked her instead.

"Average," she shrugged dryly.

"What are your plans for tomorrow?" I asked further.

"Nothing out of ordinary," she replied again in the same tone.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing." she replied. Seeing her in such mood soured my own mood as well. She was a little bundle of joy and without her beautiful smile, everything felt so dark and lonely.

"Scarlet, look at me." I scooted closer to her. She hesitantly looked at me and her brown eyes looked sad. "What happened?"

"I feel like what you're doing is disrespectful. I don't want to be treated like an object between this rivalry of yours." she said in a gloomy voice.

"Do you not want me to touch you again?" I asked, feeling a little hurt that she felt disgusted or disrespected by my proximity. I might not be the best man here but I certainly didn't want her to feel like I was using her.

"No... I mean... Yes... I mean... Ugh..." she groaned in annoyance. "I don't want to be close to someone who is doing that for show-off, instead of actually wanting to touch me." she said innocently and her irritation amused me.

She looked so cute with the small pout on her plump lips and a small frown on her forehead. I leaned towards her and her eyes widened. "What if I want to?" I whispered.

"Huh?" she mumbled as her mouth fell open. My eyes flicked to her mouth and I wet my lips. It felt like an invisible thread was pulling me towards her, urging me to kiss her senselessly.

I lifted my gaze to look back into her eyes that were dilated with desire. When I moved my head more close
to her, she closed her eyes and at that moment, she looked so inviting.

Even death couldn't stop me from erasing the distance between us but something else did. The picture of my late wife staring at us as if stripping me of my soul. At that moment, it looked like she was there, shaking her head at me with disappointment. And then there was this girl inches away from me, bewitching me into kissing her. I felt torn between desire and shame, both of these emotions overpowering me.

Cursing myself internally, I pulled away and Scarlet's eyes opened immediately, her face dripping with confusion. "Go to sleep. I'll be in my study room." I said and hopped out of the bed, to get as far away from her as possible.

________________________

Any thoughts about this bedroom scene?