41. Threats And Consequences

Scarlet

It was a beautiful morning but what's more beautiful was the sight of the man sleeping on top me, his hands tightly wrapped around my waist and his head resting on my chest as if it was a squishy pillow. His hair was tickling the skin of my neck and his leg was sandwiched in between my bare ones.

He hadn't woken up yet and although my body was failing to bear his weight, I kept silent because I knew it's not everyday Evan Parker sleeps so peacefully.

His soft hair invited me and I snaked my fingers through them, feeling the soft texture. I softly massaged his head and he snuggled deeper into me, his jaw momentarily brushing with my breasts and my cheeks heated up in response.

Our uncomfortable position urged me to shift under him and when I did, he woke up with a jerk. His hooded grey eyes zoomed into mine and I blushed deeper at our proximity.

"Good morning," I whispered to hide my embrassment.

"Good morning." His voice sounded deliciously hoarse. That's when I noticed how weird I looked in the nightie. The neckline was hanging too low for my liking.

Evan's eyes followed mine and rested on my neckline. "Evan, look away." I whined loudly.

He chuckled at this and then leaned towards me. Our gazes were locked together and the beautiful radial pattern of his blue eyes intoxicated me. "Morning breath," I reminded him because he might not have it but I do.

"Really Scarlet?" He scowled at this and then inclined his head towards my neck. I closed my eyes when he nuzzled his nose along my neck. His lips then replaced his nose and he placed some small kisses there. His hand that was resting on my waist trailed lower and reached my bare thigh. His touch there caused my breath to knock out and a weird fire erupted in the pit of my stomach.

"Evan," I whispered his name and then tugged his hair once again while he continued his torture on my neck with his lips.

"Hmmm," he mumbled and the vibration of his voice reverberated through my whole body.

"Don't you have any work to do today?" I teased him and that's when he suddenly stopped.

"Shit," he said and moved away. "Shit, shit, shit." He gasped in panic and hopped out of bed, leaving me cold and alone.

"What happened?" I asked, sitting up on the bed.

"I totally forgot about the meeting last night. Shit." He said and ran towards the closet and then appeared with a suit in his hand.

He then rushed towards his study table to check something on the laptop. His hands moved furiously over the files and his worry panicked me.

"Don't panic. You'll find some way." I tried to console.

At this, he turned around and glared at me. "You... You seduced me with your tempting looks and that skimpy nightie. It's your fault." He accused.

"Really?" I raised my eyebrows and added sarcastically. "You should have restrained yourself Mr. Oh-so-righteous."

His face contorted even more, if that was possible. "You Mrs. Parker are in deep shit. If you pull such stunt again, you won't leave the bed a virgin." He threatened and my mouth fell open at his words.

"We... Um... We will see." I said and hid my burning face from him.

"We will see." He said firmly and then rushed into the bathroom, leaving me hot and bothered at his threat.

..........

Today was the day I'll be stepping into my new fully-furnished bakery for the first time. Liam came to pick me up and together, we drove towards the bakery where the interior designer was waiting for us.

Darren was a middle-aged man with shiny blonde locks that could be spotted from a mile away. But despite his colorful attitude, he listened to all my requests patiently and I'm sure he did the perfect job.

Once I entered inside, my eyes widened in amazement at the place that was supposed to be mine. It looked like we had entered one of those expensive bakeries where a slice of cake is sold at 100 bucks. But despite the modern interior, it still had the homey look I wanted in my bakery. The violet paint on the walls contrasted perfectly with the white sofa sets. A door in the dining hall led us to the huge kitchen which was equipped with the fanciest equipments possible.

"This is not just a bakery. It's a proper cafe." I said in amazement.

"Wow, we can add some more food items in the menu. We didn't have this much seating before. Maybe we can hire a barista. Should we start a pizza corner too?" Liam added impatiently, looking just as awestruck as me. He gaped at the series of five ovens set in a line. So that's what heaven feel like for a baker?

"It must have cost a lot." I asked Darren in a worried voice.

"Yeah, but Mr. Parker said that I should not worry about the money and neither should I worry you. He must love you so much, Scarlet." He said and an involuntary smile appeared on my face.

Liam cleared his throat and eyed me suggestively, earning a fake scowl from me.

"Okay, I should leave now. I have a meeting with your husband about the finances." Darren excused himself, leaving us in this fancy place. I just looked around in awe, not daring to touch anything in fear of breaking it.

"Wow." Another surprised gasp reached us. We both turned towards Rachel who looked just as surprised as us.

"Isn't this place great?" Liam asked her and she nodded. In the last few weeks, Liam and Rachel had grown closer and their subtle flirtations didn't escape my notice.

"Yes, it is. Well thank God, I will actually have some work to do here." She said and brushed the glass door of the refrigerator.

"Yeah, and we will have to give you a bonus too." I reminded her and her smile widened at this.

"Staring at me is enough bonus for her." Liam added and earned a playful scowl from her.

"As if." She rolled her eyes.

We spent the rest of the day bringing things into motion because the day after tomorrow would be the opening day of the new Biscotti. It was almost 8 when I let Rachel and Liam go on a dinner while I waited for Evan's driver to pick me up. I had called him an hour ago but he hadn't reached yet, which was unusual for the very punctual Patrick.

When the door finally opened, it was Evan who had come to pick me. He looked really sexy with his coat off and the sleeves of his shirt rolled to his elbows. His hair was messy, as if he had run his thin, long fingers through them repeatedly.

Stop drooling, Scarlet.

"Are you happy with this place?" He asked, looking around and assessing everything.

"Yes, a lot. I don't know how I would pay you back for this." I said in a distressed voice.

"You want to pay me back?" He asked with a smile and walked towards me in a slow pace.

"Yeah," I replied, fearing if he would ask the money back right now. "But I don't have the money right now."

He didn't stop walking on reaching me. Instead, he continued walking and I continued stepping back. "There is something you can do to pay me back." He said with a dangerous glint in his eyes. I gulped harder and took another step back but realised that I had reached the counter.

"What?" I asked, staring into his hypnotic eyes.

He placed both arms on my sides, caging me in. My breath hitched when he lowered his head and the side of his face touched mine. His mouth was right in front of my ear and his warm breath was tickling my skin.

"You can..." He whispered and his nose teasingly grazed my earlobe, causing me to shut my eyes and let out a small moan. "Make me your first customer and prepare a steaming cup of coffee for me."

Saying this, he pulled away.

"Fuck you," I used the F word which was so unlike me but Evan always manages to make me act weird. My curse amused him and he chuckled in return, earning a warning glare from me.

________________________________

I am officially back.