36. The Season Of Heartbreaks

Scarlet

This was my first day back to bakery after a week. Liam was the one handling everything behind me and I was grateful to him for that. Evan's driver dropped Cara and me to the bakery. Both of us trudged inside and the familiar heavenly scent greeted us.

I left Cara on a seat and gave her a story book to read. Then I made my way inside the kitchen and surprised Liam who was busy making glazing for his cupcakes. He jumped excitedly when he realised my presence and took off his gloves and apron to envelop me in a tight hug.

"I missed you, cupcake. This bakery had no life without you." he said, still hugging me tightly. There was something in his voice told me that he was sad and the reason wasn't my absence entirely.

"I missed you too." I said and parted from him. "Guess what I brought for you?" I grinned, hiding the box behind my back.

"What is it?" he attempted to look behind me. "Give it to me." he extended his arm but I ducked backwards. He pouted in return and turned his face away.

"Okay, don't pout like a baby. Here." I gave the box to him.

He opened it impatiently and when he finally found the sunglasses that I caught him drooling at one time, his smile widened. "Oh my God, thank you Scar. I can't believe you remembered." he said and gave me another hug.

"Okay, enough bonding now. Let's go back to work, shall we?" I said and looked at the list of the orders we had for today.

"Yes. Thank God, you're back. Your loyal customers missed you more than me." he rolled his eyes and I smiled at this. Together, we started baking the rest of the items on the list, the first of which was meringue pie.

All the while we were baking, I noticed Liam's lack of concentration. There was definitely something on his mind, irking him. Last I met him, he was happy and excited to call Helena back after their night together.

"Liam, is everything okay?" I asked.

"Yeah," he said and refused to meet my eyes.

"What about Helena? Did you call her yet?" I asked and his face contorted at this. He shook his head lazily and continued mixing the ingredients. "What happened Liam? You know I know you better than everyone else. There is something bothering you, I know." I said and pulled the bowl out of his hand.

His brown eyes dripped with agony as he stared at me. "I went to meet her two days ago and... and she was with someone else." he told me and my jaw hanged low in surprise. I couldn't believe she did that to Liam. He was the sweetest man I ever met, how could anyone hurt this ball of sunshine?

"I don't know what to say." I sighed and rubbed his arm.

"She said she wasn't interested in me in that way. It was just a one night stand for her." he said in a gloomy tone.

"Oh," I whispered. "I... Well... I hope she realises that what she did hurt you badly."

"It doesn't matter now. I should have understood. She is a successful businesswoman and I am just a baker. What did I think?" he let out a humourless laugh.

Pity filled me and I pulled him in for another hug. We have always been there for each other but this time, I was too busy enjoying my honeymoon that I totally forgot to check up on my friend.

We were still hugging when I heard footsteps coming into kitchen. I pulled away and stared at the unknown girl that just walked inside leisurely.

"Oh I forgot to tell you, Scarlet. Our waitress quit so I had to hire this girl yesterday for help. Today is her first official day here. Are you okay with it?" Liam informed me.