60. Changing Behaviours

Scarlet

After hours of insisting from my side, Evan finally agreed to drop me to the bakery because according to him, I was still too weak. It has been three days since I blacked out and he has done everything he can to stop me from any physical activity these three days. It was this morning when I finally decided that I was done sitting at home and needed some fresh air.

"If you need anything, just call me." He said, unbuckling the seatbelt.

"I am fine, Evan." I sighed. I knew his stress for my health was logical after what happened to his first wife but he has to understand that life doesn't stop when you get pregnant. "Believe me."

"I know. But still, call me." He said and kissed my forehead.

Smiling, I left the car and walked inside the bakery where Liam was already waiting for me, a teasing smile lingering on his mouth.

"So you saw that." I asked.

"Yep." He grinned. "Young love."

"Remind me to say this when you are acting all lovey-dovey with Helena." I said, rolling my eyes.

"Oh, so the pregnant you is sassy." He said and I scrunched my nose in confusion.

"What?"

"I have heard that pregnancy hormones can change your usual personality." He said.

"There is no such thing like that." I said and checked the orders list for today. The first order was two dozen coconut cupcakes for Mr. Rikkard that needed to be delivered by 12.

"Yes, there is." He said, arranging the shelves. "I read it in a magazine."

"What magazine was it? The bullshit magazine?" I rolled my eyes again.

"See... Sassy." He pointed at me and I frowned. "Baby Parker is going to be a sassy king or queen."

"Whatever," I said and went into the kitchen to prepare the cupcakes.

Once all the cupcakes were ready to go, I pulled off the apron and walked out of the kitchen. Rachel came to inform me that someone was waiting for me in the corner booth and when I went there, I found Nate sitting.

"I had some of your stuff." He said, giving me the shopping bag through which my clothes were peeking.

"Thank you so much." I said and seated in front of him. "Would you like coffee or anything?"

"No, it's okay." He said. "I heard a new addition to your family is on the way. I didn't know Evan was this eager to have you back."

Hearing this, I let out a small laugh. "Thanks, for everything."

"The pleasure is all mine." He smirked, his bluish green eyes gleaming.

"I hope I wasn't too much of a burden." I said and asked Rachel to bring coffee for him. His eyes lingered on Rachel's retreating figure after which, he turned his attention back to me.

"It was fun, knowing how much this angered Evan." He chuckled.

"He... He can be a little difficult sometimes. But I'm sure he doesn't think the worst of you." I replied.

"Oh, let me tell you sweetheart, he sure does. He thinks I was trying to steal his wife from him." He said, brushing his hair back from his forehead.

"Were you?" I raised my eyebrows.

He let out a small chuckle, after which he leaned towards me and added, "Wanna know a secret? You remind me of my sister."

"Oh," I whispered briefly and cursed the part of my mind that had a tiny crush on him when I first saw him.

"But he doesn't need to know that. Let him burn a little." He added in a whisper.

We were busy in these talks when Rachel returned with two cups of coffee and placed them in front of us. "Thank you Miss...?" Nate trailed off.

"Rachel." She replied, a hint of crimson colour appearing on her cheeks under his piercing gaze.

"Rachel." He repeated in an extra deep voice. "Can I have your number, Rachel?"

"What?" She gasped out loud, exchanging a worried glance with me.

"I'm kidding," Nate cleared and Rachel's face relaxed a bit. "I'll take it from your boss." He added with a wink.

She gulped nervously and ran away from our sight in an impossibly fast speed. I glared at grinning Nate and asked, "Why were you teasing her?"

"I love making women blush." He shrugged and took a long sip of the coffee.

We continued talking while enjoying the coffee prepared by Liam. My best friend definitely had magic in his hands and nobody, not even my pregnant self was immune to it. Evan had strictly told me to avoid coffee but no sane person can resist this delicious aroma.

Once Nate stood up to leave, Rachel returned to collect the empty cups and trays. Her hands trembled a little, her nervousness clear from her face.

"Are you leaving?" I asked, standing up with him to go back to the kitchen.

"Yeah but I will be back soon. The coffee here is addictive." He said while his voice was more directed at Rachel who was burning in response.

............

Evan came to pick me at 6 which was too early for either of us. He had already called Kelly to make the dinner for the rest of them and a bowl of that weird nutritionous soup for me. Both father and daughter made sure that I finished the soup before leaving the dining table.

"How long do I have to keep eating that?" I asked once I was back in the room.

"Until the next checkup." He said.

Huffing, I sat down on the bed and crossed my arms in front of my chest in anger. Evan smiled at this and knelt in front of me, pulling the sandals out of my feet.

"How was your day?" He said, crossing his legs on the floor and pulling my feet in his hands.

"What are you doing?" I asked, trying to pull my feet away.

"I've heard that pregnant women often complain of swollen feet." He said and massaged my feet with his cold fingers. The soothing feeling calmed my mind a little and I closed my eyes.

"Yes, right there." I said and let him massage my feet a little. He was right. My feet had started to pain a little after walking around the bakery the whole day.

I lay back on the bed and muttered under my breath, "If I knew my pregnancy would make you this sweet, I would have jumped on you the very first day." Maybe Liam was right, maybe the pregnancy hormones were changing me a little and making me more bold.

His hands stopped and after standing up, he hovered over me. "And if I knew how delicious you looked without any clothes on, I would have jumped on you the minute I saw you." He teased, making me blush.

"Before you get too excited, let me inform you that I am too tired to move right now." I said.

"Who are you and what have you done to my innocent wife?" He asked with a hint of surprise on his face.

I shrugged and closed my eyes, not caring to strip out of my day clothes. I felt Evan pick me up and shift me on my side on the bed, covering me with the cozy blanket.

________________________