Chapter Twenty Six - Winter, Part Five

So, um. I'm alive.

On the outside.

Have some angst. And fluff.

*****

Chapter Twenty Six - Winter, Part Five

He looked at the card.

It looked so innocent, just a flat thing with blue and purple circular designs on it.

But it held memories.

They weren't his memories, but the thought scared him.

If HYDRA could do all of these things already with science, what could they do with magic on their hands?

But he trusted this new handler.

He stared at the card again, a flash of memories overwhelming him – his memories:

Similar looking cards in the hands of an older woman; himself, Stevie and Becca standing in front of her as she shuffled them and had them pick cards out of a spread.

"Bucky, go first, go first!" Becca said excitedly.

The lady gestured to the deck. "First, what would you like to know?"

His mouth felt dry. "What is my future?"

"Boo!" Becca called behind him.

She raised an unimpressed eyebrow. "It will be broad. Nothing too specific."

Bucky shrugged.

She gestured to the cards, taught him how to shuffle them and then paused. "Now pull three."

He didn't know why he felt so nervous about this. It's not like he really believed in it, he was only doing it for Becca.

His mouth still felt like it was stuffed with cotton as he drew three cards.

The lady gasped, but he didn't look up at her, or at Becca or Stevie. He was stuck staring at the gruesome cards.

He didn't know what they meant, but none of the depictions looked good.

Finally, he looked up at the lady. "What does it mean?" he asked roughly.

Her eyes were filled with pity as she reached out a hand and placed it on his cheek. "Oh, my child, I am so sorry."

Before any of them could say anything, she was gone in the winds, with no sign of her or her cards.

Bucky turned back to Stevie and Becca.

"That was weird," Becca muttered, staring where the lady ran off. "She didn't even tell you what the cards signified...what cards were they? I know enough to tell you what they mean."

They didn't see the cards. For some reason, he didn't want to tell them.

Becca narrowed her eyes at him, sensing his hesitance. "James."

"The Tower, Death, and Ten of Swords," he admitted.

Her gasp nearly went unnoticed under Steve's shouting. "You're going to die?!"

"No, moron," Becca said, hitting the seventeen-year-old and recovering her composure. "Death doesn't always mean...death. Like, actual death for the person involved. More like...a complete cut of ties. The death of an idea, or relationship."