Thoughts And Trains

Requested...kind of?: The prompt was sent to me and asked to do with Tommy by kingaurthorscat ​! Thank you!

Pairing: Thomas Shelby x reader

Warnings: Swearing - but not much of it, small bit of PTSD mention, smoking, fluff, and soft!Tommy

Note: I'm sorry if the ending doesn't make sense. It does to me, but I'm worried it won't.. hope you guys enjoy it!

Tommy had lit his third cigarette as his thoughts took over. It was worrisome. Y/n told him to take the train rather than his horse, saying it would be quicker and probably safer in the harsh weather. 'Pfft, what does she know about safety? Damn woman nearly took her thumb off trying to cook breakfast this morning.' He chuckled when he remembered the indecent. She was only trying to cook for him...while dizzy and tired. The Peaky Blinder sent her off to bed before she could even make a peep.

Now on their trip back to the Shelby mansion, she could rest all she wanted. Well really she didn't want to, Tommy just demanded that his lover get as much sleep as she could so that she would be wide awake when they saw the rest of the Shelbys. He wondered what she dreamed about. Maybe she dreamt of him and his ocean eyes. Maybe she dreamt of the rest of the Shelby family and what they were to do when the couple arrived.

While she slept, beautifully according to Tommy, her fiancé's head was filled with racing thoughts. Not race-racing thoughts, I meant thoughts that were darting in and out of his head. He couldn't stop them. It was a dangerous thing, thinking. You never know what could be thought of...

Thomas brushed a strand of Y/n's hair behind her ear, she was still snoring away on his lap. He then thought of what could happen to her. Ada and Arthur were the only ones who met her, so what would his other family members think of her. It didn't matter to Tommy, he knew that they wouldn't say anything bad about her whilst the two were still lovers. But still. The feeling of the need for acceptance was in both their hearts and he knew it.

It was becoming to much. He hadn't spoken a word after telling Y/n that he loved her before she fell asleep. His thoughts were now evil and cruel words, memories as well. He couldn't help it. The tears rolled down his face as his PTSD tortured him in what used to be harmless thinking. Tommy made sure to be quiet, but he didn't realize the wetness on his face trickled down to Y/n's.

"You look like you could use some company." Her voice sounded angelic, bringing him out of his scarring trip to the past.

He blinked, but smiled softly. "If it's you, always."

She sat up and adjusted the h/c hair Tommy loved so much. Standing up then moving to sit on the Shelby boy's lap. She took the 'cancer stick' out of his mouth and put it out. The girl didn't mind his smoking, she just didn't like to smoke herself, due to the punishment that often came with it. Y/n turned and looked at him for a what most would call a second too long.

"Do I have something on my face?"

"No...you're just beautiful."

"Excuse me?"

"I said you're beautiful, Tommy Shelby." Her arms were around his neck and she was scanning his face with a soft expression. "I don't know how on earth I got you as the man I'd marry."

"Ah, but it is I who is lucky. I don't deserve you and your kind soul, do you know that?"

"As you said Mr. Shelby. I have kind soul. Who says I'd marry you if I didn't?"

Her words took Tommy aback, a few seconds going by before he noticed the smirk that was growing onto her face. He gasped at her joke and tickled her sides, listening to the sweet giggles that escaped her mouth. When the laughter died down, Y/n pressed her lips to Tommy's. The two thankful they were in a private car of the train.

"You already know you would."

"Right you are, Tommy."

The silence took over again. It was different this time. Y/n was observing Tommy and occasionally kissing him, while he was studying her actions. Of course. She did these things often, but the nervousness of her small pecks was what revealed her secret.

"Talk to me."

She stopped squinting her eyes and glanced up to meet his. "What do you mean?"

"Talk to me."

"Well...about what?"

"Anything."

"Why? I don't mind, I'm just curious."

"You're anxious, are you not?"

Gotcha. She averted her gaze and took a few moments. When she was finally ready, she spoke up, "I don't know what your family will think of me. You're one of the most badass people I've met aside from your brother and sister. I'm just..me."

"You're right."

"What?"

"You're right. You're you. And that's all you need to be."

The smile that was stolen from her by her worries was placed back on her face. If Tommy was being completely honest, he thought it could light up a whole room. It was a contagious smile for sure. That fact could be confirmed by the genuine smile on Tommy's face.

"I love you, you big idiot."

"Hey now, no need to be rude darling." He let out a chuckle. "Alright, well it's almost time for the train to arrive at the station. I love you too dearest- and Y/n?"

"Yes?"

"I'm your big idiot."

She giggled again. Nodding before tackling her fiancé in a hug for maybe the 50th time on the ride. She tried to pull back but when she got to the point where his face was in her sight, she was pulled into a kiss. Y/n didn't want her lips to leave his, but they were on a train and almost home. Tommy agreed with her thoughts. However he knew they'd have time to be alone when they were in Birmingham.

"Tommy, love?"

He made a small grunt, letting her know she had his attention. Tommy lit a new cigarette and listened to his lover speak.

"Now that the train's stopping...did you enjoy my company?"

The Peaky Blinders leader scoffed. He looked for a place to set down his cigarette, giving up and holding it away from their faces and turning his head back to his soon-to-be wife. "Enjoy? I say it's the best damn company I've had in my life."

After the laughter erupted and ended from the couple, one last kiss was shared between the lovers. They were truly inseparable as they they walked hand in hand from the the train and to the Shelby residence. Long story short, the Shelbys loved the woman who was going to be known as Mrs. Shelby.