Rest Easy For Me

Requested by anon: If requests are still open could you pls do one with Tommy Shelby, where the reader is a long time friend of Tommy and on the night where the gunman attempts to shoot Tommy, the reader, who was closely near Grace and Tommy ends up the one being shot and dies, and soon enough Grace begins to find out about Tommy's true feelings for you during his grieving process.

Pairing: Thomas Shelby x reader

Warnings: Death, murder, swearing, immature humor (before death)

Note: Only people who listen to cavetown will get the title And this story probably makes sense or it probably doesn't, I wouldn't know currently because I'm sick and tired and blasting music to stay functioning. Enjoy!

- - -

"What do you think of that?"

"I think you should not drink Vodka with Champagne." Thomas, smoothly, rejected Tatiana's proposal and attempted to walk away, turning once she started yet another question.

"Does your wife know that the sapphire she is wearing has been cursed by a Gypsy?" She giggled.

"What did you say?"

Tatiana's face went serious, "Nothing on Earth, would make me wear it." She walked away after answering Tommy in her own strange way. The girl left Tommy confused and a bit fearful.

"Ignore her, Tatiana is probably speaking nonsense so she can get you to sleep with her instead of your wife. Oh and by the way, congrats Tommy. Grace seems like a lovely woman." Y/n spoke to him, her eyes on the woman she was speaking of and her words directed to Tommy.

He was shocked, blinking a few times at the sudden appearance of his long time friend, but followed her gaze and nodded, responding with a small grunt.

"You don't seem too happy to be here, huh?"

"No no, it's not that, I'm just a bit...well it's a lot, ya know?"

"And with Tatiana's scare...yeah. I can imagine, I apologize."

"No."

"Excuse me?" She finally turned to face him.

He faced her as well and shrugged. "No. You have no need to apologize. You should just enjoy this time with me while we can. Just stay with me for a bit ...I need to ask you something."

"Tommy. You're married and a grown man now. You're gonna have to start going potty on your own from now on."

"What?" She held her breathe for a few seconds before cracking into laughter and hugging his side. "You can be such an ass, Y/n."

"But you love me, so that makes up for my assiness."

Tommy closed his eyes and inhaled deeply. Many thoughts were going through his head at the moment, but Y/n couldn't quite tell what. She felt like he was wanting to get out of the situation, so she hugged him tightly and apologized.

"No. Please, don't be sorry. You're right honestly, I love you whether or not you're mean or immature."

"I love you too Tommy...now Grace is giving me those suspicious wife eyes, go talk to her and enjoy some nice spouse to spouse time, alright?" She pat his back softly.

"Alright. Thank you Y/n."

"Of course Tom. I'm always here for you, nothing can ever get rid of me. I promise."

Of all nights to say those words. She picked the one she'd meet her maker. It was unintentional, yes, but Tommy remembered it. All Tommy saw a man, pointing his gun in the direction of him and and Grace. He extended his arm and put it over Grace, pulling her to him and out of the way. However, he didn't see Y/n behind them.

She was close behind, he could've saved her if not both females. Just as he thought the bullet missed the person he loved, the bullet hit her. A bullet, right to the body it wasn't supposed to hit. The gun was meant for Thomas Shelby, instead, it hit Y/n L/n. She wasn't meant to die, but one bullet made her fate come sooner than she'd expected.

Grace noticed a change in Tommy's attitude. He was more depressed, more saddened, as if he'd just lost the love of his life. That didn't make sense though, wasn't she the love of his life? She had no clue, for all she knew, the wedding could've meant absolutely nothing to him.

Could he have been lying to her the entire time they were together? That was a strong possibility. And a strong possibility that seemed more like the truth than what Grace wanted to believe. So this new truth, the true truth, was shown by her husband's closest friend.

He was hardly at home. Hardly in his office. Not even his family knew where he was. Grace took it upon herself to search for him one night when he didn't return. It didn't take her long to find him. He had set camp far from their home, but exactly at the place Grace thought to search first.

Y/n's grave.

The one at whatever cemetery they decided to use wasn't real. Thomas begged them to put her grave in a special place, a place they used to visit when they were kids, a place where only he could visit because it was special to the two of them. He told her family of the location and they visited at least once.

He rested there, a (favorite flower) in hand and tears running down his cheeks. Unknown to Grace, his mind flashed with memories from that night as he thought of words to speak to her, knowing she couldn't respond from beyond the grave. Tommy's hard shell dissolved and his soul poured out.

Grace kneeled behind him and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Tommy. What's going on?"

"Grace...I'm sorry..."

"Start from the beginning, alright?"

"The night she was killed. I remember it. She promised me, nothing could ever get rid of her. But I turned and she was there, eyes bulging and hands clasped over a bleeding wound. She mumbled my name before dropping to the ground and dying on the spot..."

"Tommy. Some people die, she didn't know she was to die that night. Her promise was genuine, she's in here, ya know?" Her hand rested on his chest. Thomas grabbed her hand and looked at it for a second, then he grabbed it and set it on her lap.

"The bullet was meant for me. Grace...I loved her."

"You..."

"I loved her. I was in love with her. I just never knew...I never knew I was, I never knew how to say it, I was so dumb and young, and now she's dead and the only way I can admit it is to my fucking wife. I'm sorry Grace."

"Thomas...I-"

"No. This isn't fair on you, it isn't fair on me and it definitely isn't fair on Y/n."

Grace tried and tried to argue, to reason, but Thomas was set on his answer. The bulled indeed was meant for him, and the bullet finding the wrong person was all it took for his heart to find it's true owner. Grace went back home, leaving Tommy to mourn his dead friend. His dead love.

For many months, Tommy came back to her grave. He wept at it, ranted to it, talked to it, overall shared his human emotions to it. A coping with Y/n's death. Pol snapped him out of it, explaining how Grace was becoming more distant and wanted a divorce, more was happening besides that.

Tommy still visited Y/n's grave, and every time he went back home, he spoke a final sentence to her. "Rest Easy For Me."