The Unforgivable Curses (Witch!Reader / FBAWTFT Crossover)

Requested: How about a witch reader x tommy shelby again But she just save john with magic and kill the enemies

Pairing: Thomas Shelby x Female!Witch!Reader

Warnings: Swearing, magic, murder, death, spoilers?, angst

Watching what would have been her brother-in-law's death was mortifying

Watching what would have been her brother-in-law's death was mortifying. Tommy sent her to watch over his cousin and brother, her secret no longer a secret helping him in his decision making, and she soon agreed with his point. His original concern had to do with the black hands, hers now related to the uneasiness her gut held. It was too...weird.

Nothing was "normal" in her life, but this was a different kind of peculiar. This was an evil kind of peculiar.

Like time was moving in slow motion, her head whipped around to spot a gun beginning to rise. It was all the time she needed to simply whip out her wand and apparate in front of John then grab him and Michael and apparate out of the way. Esme was already out of their line of fire, so she was safe and didn't require saving. The gypsy woman watched her sister-in-law with wide eyes that contained a pleasant mix of horror and awe. Y/n grinned before ducking down to dodge a bullet that flew at her head.

The bullet she dodged had just slightly grazed John's shoulder. It still caught him off guard enough to cause panic to emit from his mouth. A loud cry rang through Y/n's ears and summoned a beast inside her, one Newt had yet to discover. Her wizard friend was too far away to make the discovery now though.

"Arresto momentum!" Her spell made the unrealistic rate of speed real. Time really was moving in slow motion. She watched as every bullet moved slower than a sloth. The Shelbys, and Gray, behind her held three equal doses of confusion but their amusement was fleeting

The thing was, she wasn't done yet. A darkness clouded her eyes.

Of course, Esme had been filled in on the different spells and what they could do, Tommy and the rest of the family as well, but Esme was the most observant involving the craft. She felt her skin pale and her heart drop to her stomach when she realized what was going to happen next. Tempted to reach out for her sister in law, had she not held back by her husband, she screamed.

"Don't do it! It's not worth it, there are different ways! Muggle ways!"

"What are you talking about, Esme?" John narrowed his eyes at his wife.

She turned to her husband with an urgent pleading expression. "Remember? The unforgivable curses, dumbass!" Esme swatted at him but quickly gave up. She was wasting time. "Y/n said that witches and wizards usually are corrupted by the fuckin' dark curses! She swore to never take part in them!"

John gulped. He developed Esme's fearful exterior within seconds, exchanging glances with Michael and then running at the same time as his cousin to Y/n.

"What the hell are you doing!? Get off!" She tried to nudge Michael away softly, but his grip on her wand wielding wrist never relented. "Don't make me do this." A sincere warning that he ignored yet again. Her other hand grabbed the wand and aimed it towards Michael, "Depulso!"

Michael began moving backwards. He looked to John with a stern nod of his head. They would do everything in their power to prevent Y/n from losing her innocence in her magic. However, Y/n was quick to spot him, flipping her aim as she shouted, "Depulso!"

Fortunately, John observed her when she did the same to Michael. He dodged it and continued pacing forward. Every shout of the spell he managed to just barely miss. Unfortunately, Y/n had now observed John.

"Incarcerous!" Ropes flew at the blinder and tied with unimaginable strength. He was left tied up and shouting, no way to stop Y/n. The shouts only quieted for a moment. A moment in which Y/n gave John a soft empathetic look before turning and following through with her plan. The look told him wordlessly that this was the only way. To trust her.

"Expelliarmus!" The guns flew in every which way, the slow motion's affect drawing out a small snicker from John. Which elicited a glare from Esme.

The slow motion spell lingered away with the guns, and the men previously holding them looked around desperately. Some men jumped off to grab their weapons once they'd spotted their spots on the ground, but were practically thrown- the literal effect of the spell- back by the words murmured by Y/n.

"Everte statum!" Esme held her breath subconsciously. Y/n had yet to speak the one spell she told the group that she so greatly despised. She had yet to corrupt herself. "Expulso!" The guns broke apart, exploding where they lied, thus preventing the enemies from using their weapons.

Time returned to it's feeling. The spell was no longer there, but they swore time had slowed again. Esme almost whipped her head around to Y/n to ask what she'd done until she noticed it wasn't the spell.

It was like a film in the theatre; an entire movie that felt like it went on for years when really it was no more than an hour. A film that flashed the mafia's life before their own eyes, the four across from them just characters they never asked for. A film that would be their last.

"Avada kedavra!" The words left her mouth with only slight hesitation. She convinced herself it was the only way, a repetition of the phrase to herself was the small nudge she needed to give into the curse and kill the men in front of her and her family.

A few moments passed, Y/n unmoving, standing in the same spot for the small bit of time before she turned and walked to John. "Let me see your shoulder."

"What? No!"

Esme swatted his arm, "Let her see it, you fucking bloody idiot!"

He groaned before extending his arm and moving his night shirt over the wounded shoulder. A wince left his mouth as the cold air nipped at his bloody skin on display. "Vulnera sanentur." The pain was gone and his wound was slowly mending itself.

Y/n turned and removed herself from their conversation for the second time. She sat upon the stairs, arm resting on her lap and her cheek held up by her palm. Esme watched with a furrow of her brows. She felt bad for Y/n, afraid even. When they'd discussed spells together, the mention of the killing curse had spooked Y/n.

It was a joke, at first. Esme was jabbing at the Blinders' work, but then a question involving the killing part of the job popped up. Y/n assured her over and over that it wasn't her fault, but now she couldn't help but feel a massive wave of guilt. Y/n had just preformed the one spell she said she could never bring herself to do. Had she truly been corrupted? Was her warning true? Was she not an exception of dark magic's addicting ways?

"It isn't over, you know? They're still out there, and from the looks of it, they don't plan on walking away." Y/n spoke up, startling the three.

"Well... What are we gonna do about it?"

"Whatever we can. We'll think of something with the rest when we get back. For now right now though," she paced around the property, "rather- before we leave, I have to do something. In fact, I'll do it wherever we deem necessary." Her in lawed siblings and cousin waited for more context in her explanation before they heard a familiar spell.

The spell was one she did when they were threatened a different time. The threat was not as big as their current but it was just as, if not a little less, serious. They'd engraved the spell in their minds, thankful to its usefulness, for how grateful they'd been that it exists.

A warm feeling took hold of them; Y/n wasn't corrupted. Y/n was determined.

"Protego totalum." (protection spell)