Lost And Found

Requested by anon: Could you write something where the reader was a nurse in France and Tommy fell in love with her. When he came back he tried to find her but he only knew her nickname so he couldn't find her. He never stopped loving her and even when he started to date Grace it ended up bad because he didn't love her. But the reader searches for him and finds him after Grace betrayed the family? :) congrats on your followers!!! Your writings are amazing!

Pairing: Thomas Shelby x reader

Warnings: Swearing (I think), fluff, mention of war, I think that's it really

Key: Y/n/n = Your nickname

- - -

The war was scary for everyone, even the people tending to wounded soldiers. Nurses scrambling to get supplies or to have someone attend the guy who got his arm blown off. A lot was going on. When Thomas Shelby was shot, somehow, he didn't sound too pleased with the idea of being cared for, but it was the only way he could get back onto the field and finish his mission.

He heard woman calling a girl by the name of Y/n/n. A beautiful sounding name, for what Tommy discovered to be a beautiful woman. All thoughts of not wanting to be tended to left his mind. His eyes met hers and he gulped.

Could this woman be his new motivation to finish this war? Damn right she was. He talked to her as she picked the bullet out, listening to her soft giggles and chuckling back. She made him smile genuinely, and he adored the shy, but genuine, smile of hers.

Throughout the time he was being cared for, he tried his best to get closer to Y/n/n and learn more about her, to which he was successful. He told her stories of his older and younger brothers, stories of his baby sister and stories of his Aunt. She was fascinated with his family, and he was fascinated with her.

Unfortunately, like all good things, their time had come to an end. Tommy as all healed and rested up, and that meant he had to go back into the fight. True, he did want to fight for his country, but he didn't want to miss the chance of seeing the nurse again.

Before he said his goodbye, he did one last thing that he kept in his mind forever. In Shelby fashion, he grabbed her and kissed her roughly. She was taken aback, but melted into it and grabbed at the hairs on the back of his neck. They separated and Tommy left, but not before making a promise.

His last words to her before he went back were ones she kept in her heart and ones he replayed in his head. "Y/n/n, I promise you, I will win this war, and I will find you after. I'll put a ring on your finger, and I'll be the one to call you mine. I will win this war, and it'll be with you on my mind."

And he did. He really did. However...he couldn't find her. And without finding her, there was no rings, there was no making her his. Tommy ran into the room where most of the nurses were, he ran around asking if anyone knew where Y/n/n was. Everyone said they had no idea who he was talking about.

When he got back home to Birmingham, he asked around if anyone knew a Y/n/n, yet no one did. For an entire year, he asked around, went on travels and asked in different locations. But no one had the answer he was seeking.

The love of his life, so beautiful, so strong, so angelic, was lost.

Polly wasn't the only person to notice a change in his behavior. It was so hopeful and determined, somehow dropping to hopeless and depressed. John and Arthur tried to cheer him up by getting him into seeing some girls, but Tom declined their offer.

Time passed and his attitude wasn't as low. It was every which way. He was more melancholy, the thoughts of Y/n/n keeping him going. A woman named Grace sang, and he listened. The sad songs reached deep into his heart and told him there was still hope.

"Happy or Sad?"

He thought for a moment. His heart ached, just as it did every other day. "Sad."

"Okay. But I warn you, it'll break ya heart."

His mind flashed to the pretty nurse, giggling and tending to his wounds. The way she stuck her tongue out of the side of her mouth when working, the pure concentration in her eyes. "Already broken."

Tommy's family agreed, he needed to find a way to get through this heartache and pain. They needed to find someone that would fill that void. They didn't know of the nurse, only that Tommy had searched for some random woman named Y/n/n. They didn't realize her worth to Tommy or even why she meant so much to him.

John and Arthur tried to poke fun at Tommy and Grace's closeness, all of the teasing an attempt at trying to get them together. Thomas caught on quickly, and all of the pressure to get with Grace started to make Tommy think he loved her. Of course, Y/n/n never left his mind. Maybe he was in love with two people at the same time?

As true as Tommy thought that was- it really wasn't. The truth was revealed soon enough. Grace and Tommy went on dates, did things any other couple would, but he opened his eyes and saw that the "spark" wasn't actually there. His heart just wanted something to cling to until he could find the woman he actually loved.

Grace questioned his distancing and he fessed up. He was quiet at first, but then told her a story. A story of a boy, a war, and an angel.

"There was once a boy. He signed up to help in this war, a very life threatening war. The boy was injured at some point. He needed to be cared for. And just as he was about to tell the doctors and nurses that he didn't need any help, an angel walked through the doors. She healed him and he made a promise to fight for her. So, he kissed her goodbye and fought the good fight, but he never saw her again."

"That's about you...ain't it?"

Tommy turned to Grace, keeping his eyes away from hers. A quiet mumble as the answer to her question; "Yes."

"Tommy-"

"Grace. I- I don't love you. I told myself I did, but my heart belongs to her." He lowered his head and winced slightly as the door slammed.

His hope returned. His heart told him not to give up, so he listened. And one bright sunny day, a woman walked into the betting shop and asked if a man by the name of Thomas Shelby had been seen. John raised his eyebrows and scrambled to go find his brother.

In record speed, Tommy bounded to the front room. As soon as John mentioned a woman similar to Tommy's description of her. He bent over, his hands on his knees as he wheezed for air. After he caught his breath, he looked up and his eyes came into contact with Y/n/n's.

"Hello Tommy."

"Hello Y/n/n."

They stood there for a second, both acting like little kids with crushes on each other. Avoiding to talk about it but knowing it full well. The blush on both of their faces and the shy smile creeping onto their lips.

"Please, call me Y/n. It's um...it's been a while."

"Indeed, it has."

"I've looked for you ever since the war got out..."

"As have I...but for you." She giggled at his response and he chuckled. Her giggle was the same as he remembered, so beautiful and angelic.

Y/n looked around before she smiled and tilted her head. "Still wanna put that ring on my finger?"

Tommy rolled his eyes playfully and stood up. He spun Y/n around and dipped her, pressing a kiss to her lips. They were just as soft as he remembered. Her hands came back up to the hairs on the back of his neck, just like they did during their first kiss. His heart was happy, the void was filled. His angel, was found.