Speeding Cars

Requested by anon: Hello I wanted to ask if you could do a Tommy Shelby x reader angsty song!fic based on the song speeding cars by walking on cars. Also thank you in advance and if you can't no hard feelings.

Pairing: Thomas Shelby x Female!Reader

Warnings: Angst, swearing, cheating, mentions of abuse

Song: Speeding Cars by Walking On Cars

Key: Lyrics = Bold + Italic, Memories (and sometimes emphasis) = Italic

So if I stand in front of a speeding car, Would you tell me who you are, what you like? What's on your mind, if I'd get it right? How I love that no one knows

So if I stand in front of a speeding car, Would you tell me who you are, what you like? What's on your mind, if I'd get it right? How I love that no one knows. And these secrets all that we've got so far, The demons in the dark, lie again, Play pretends like it never ends; This way no one has to know

He loved her, so Polly understood his pain. The family had recently told him about Y/n's betrayal. How she never actually loved him. And even if she had, he had to give up his love for her to be with another woman. It hit him. Hard. But she understood his need for space.

At least, that's what she imagined he was going through.

In reality, Tommy was going through the downfall of their relationship. Y/n had actually loved him, confessed her betrayal one night. Though his reaction was not ideal, expected- yet not ideal, he loved her nevertheless.

She came to him, just the other night, and fessed up the newest information. Her employer offered a deal; Tommy take the man's daughter's hand in marriage for peace, or their war would continue. Accepting would mean he, the employer, would no longer be a threat to the Shelby family, but it also meant Tommy could no longer see Y/n, as that would be crossing him.

His palms slammed down on the wooden surface of his desk, splinters piercing through his soft pale skin. The water in his eyes formed into droplets, splashing down on the papers in front of him.

"You don't love me, do you?"

"That's not what I said. And frankly, I believe I should be the one to ask that, of you!" The hurt in his voice made Y/n wince. "You're playing the victim, after telling me you work for my enemy. How wonderful."

"I understand, Thomas, you're hurt-"

"Hurt is an understatement. I... I'm letting my family down by falling for you. I'm putting everyone I love at risk, because I was dumb enough to fall for you."

His angry ranting continued as he paced the room. Y/n felt her own anger bubbling up to the surface before she finally snapped. "You think you're the only one with that problem? I hadn't intended to fall for you, but in the end, I did! I fell for you and I don't regret anything besides working for that... that.. that dick!"

Tommy's head snapped upwards, finally noticing the tears that streamed down her cheeks, how red and puffy her eyes had become. Her expression showed him just how genuine her confessional outburst was.