Chapter 8

The Spring Festival is probably my favorite thing about this school. It is when students get to wear costumes all day, eat from food trucks, and drink a lot of beer at night. Last year, I was in charge of the Spring Fest Parade and had so much fun designing the floats. So when I was asked to do the same this year, I have an even more fun idea in mind.

"We should do a Color Run parade," I tell the organizing team at our kick-off meeting.

"Color what?" asks Lauren

"Color Run! It's this new concept where you get color powders splashed at you while you're running. It's so much fun!"

"It doesn't sound hygienic," Lauren says.

"Gee, Lauren, it's our last year here. We should be having a blast."

I am so excited. Since I only have one class left this semester, I have a lot more time to plan the parade. I call the Color Run company in London and get them to present in front of our team. As I've expected, everyone loves the idea.

Except for the high cost.

"Come on, we're only a uni. Can't you guys lower the price?" I say to the sales person.

"I'm sorry, but the color powder we use is expensive and you lot will be needing plenty. Color Run is fun with more powder, not less."

"Can't you find a cheaper color powder?"

"We won't take any risk. This is the only color powder we know that don't cause allergy, skin irritation, etcetera..."

I sigh.

"But...." he says, "We are aware that a prominent member of the Royal family is attending this school.."

"Prince William? Yes he does," Lauren asks, "Why?"

"He will be good for our publicity," he says, "A picture of him doing Color Run at the front page The Sun will immediately put us on the nation's radar."

My eyes widened, "Ah, so you'll give us a discount in exchange of a picture of William at the Color Run?"

"Do you think William is keen to do this?" Lauren looks at me.

"Will you lower the price?" I look at the guy.

"Yes," the guy says, "We'll give you a 20 percent discount."

"50," I say

"35."

"40."

"Deal," the guy says, "Get his consent to be photographed."

"Alright, I'll let you know."

The guy leaves with a very wide grin and I look at the team. "Are we exciteeed?"

"Pam, even with 40 percent off, we still need financial aid," says Henry, another team member.

"We can get that from a sponsor."

"And we can do some kind of a fund-raising activity, you know, like..."

"Great, you guys think about that activity. I will go talk to William."

"You know William?" asks Henry.

"Don't we all?" I sneer, "He's super famous."

"So you're just gonna walk up to him and ask?"

"That's the plan. Wish me luck."

***