Chapter 31

I must have slept for hours.

And I must have slept in my old bedroom. When I open my eyes, I see the white French window and the bright blue sky of Central Park in the summer.

I love this bedroom. I felt like it has witnessed my whole life; from the moment when my family is pretty much intact (you know, when my dad still reads me Princess stories before I go to bed), up to the point where I fell asleep asking myself whether or not I still have a dad.

This room also witnessed my sleepovers, my first kiss, and my first good cry for a boy. And most importantly, this room probably watches me becoming who ever I am now.

Oh God, how many hours have I slept? I remember walking, or floating, across the hospital halls to find my mom's PA. I told her I needed to get home to sleep for a bit. Then I got myself a taxi and found myself almost sleeping at the back of the cab.

I feel safer here. At home.

As I continue to stare at the view outside the window, I hear the door slowly creaks opened behind me. It's probably one of the maids, so I immediately shut my eyes, pretending I'm still asleep so they won't bother me.

But instead, I feel someone climbing into my bed and lay down right beside me. I turn around immediately.

The first thing I see is a dark blue sweater. I look up... and see William's face.

"Will! What are you...?"

"Your mother's PA let me enter," he says softly. He wraps his hand around my waist, spooning me, and he says, "Do you mind if I sleep for a bit, I just landed."

I smile and I turn around, back to facing the window. I hear nothing but William's soft breath behind me, hugging me tight.

All of a sudden, I feel even a lot more safer.

***

"So, what do you want to do in New York?" I ask him while he's eating. The Chef has prepared us a butter lemon pasta which is so heavenly after you sleep for hours.

"I don't have to do anything, I'm happy just being here," he says, "When are we going to see your mom?"

"Right after we eat," I say.

"Okay."

"When are you planning to fly back to school?"

"Gee, thanks Pam, I'm so happy you're here too."

I laugh, "That's not what I meant. I am excused from school because of my mom's condition. You have to get back, take your final test, and graduate."

"Yes, but you're going to take that test too, right?"

I nod, "I will. But the school allows me do it later, when all of you are no longer in the school. They think it's best... Well, actually Albert thinks it's best."

He falls quiet.

"Hey, you remember our conversation back then," I say cheerfully, "When I asked you if you could not be a Prince for a day, what would you do."

He smiles, "Of course I remember. I want to go to New York."

"Well, here you are now," I smile.

"Here I am," he smiles.

"You brought your hats and other disguises, right?"

"In 3 different colors, baby," he says, smiling.

***

We walk across the hospital hall and stop by the window where I watched my mom yesterday. She still hasn't woken up, but the doctor says the amount of pills she swallowed were just too much, and her body needs time to recover from them.

"It's actually a miracle that she's still..." the doctor's voice trails off.

"Alive?" I ask. I feel William's hand circling my hand and squeeze them.

"She's given her second chance," the doctor says, "I highly recommend her to do some extensive rehab time after this. It will help her."

I nod, "Yes, we've made arrangements."

"I haven't seen your dad," the doctor says, "I'm sorry maybe I shouldn't mention this. But your mom listed your dad's name as her emergency contact, so I figured-"

"It's fine," I say, "I guess my mom just forgot to update them. She should list me as her emergency contact now."

"I see," he nods, "I'll make sure the nurse knows."

"Thanks Doc."

The doctor leaves. I turn back to look at my mom again. She's given her second chance.

You're given your second chance, mom.

"You okay?" William asks, "She'll make it, don't worry."

"Oh yes, she's a strong woman. I mean, you heard it yourself. Even those amount of pills cannot take her down," I smile.

He smiles, "She is strong, just like her daughter."

I look at my mom, who looks so peaceful at her sleep. I turn back to William. "Hey, you want to go to Central Park and eat hot dogs?"

"Definitely."

***

We spend the rest of the afternoon at the Park, eat hot dogs, and admire the flowers and trees that look almost like one of those Van Gogh paintings. After that William wants to have a nice dinner somewhere "very-New-York", so I took him to Halal Guys near the Radio City Hall.

"So," he says, "Aren't you going to take me to that famous, famous place of all?" he asks.

"What, Lady Liberty? That's tomorrow."

"Times Square."

I grin, "Oh yeah. Let's go."

We threw our plates and walk along the sidewalk.

I couldn't be happier. I really, truly miss this. I would never thought I'd walk in New York with this guy though, but hey, no one seems to recognize who he is. And New York is waaayyy too busy to take one good look at a guy who wears black hat and a regular navy blue parachute jacket.

Every time I go to Times Square, I always look at the Broadway billboards first. What's on. Annie, of course. The Book of Mormons. And Mamma Mia! will always be there.

"Oh wow, Will!" I shout, completely forgot that I was supposed to not refer to his name while we're out, just in case. "They have Cinderella playing on Broadway! The George Hammerstein's!"

"Do you like Cinderella?" he asks

I look at him as if he was the stupidest human being on earth.

"Will, show me a girl who does not like Cinderella and I'll show you a guy who does not like sex."

He laughs. "I just thought you're not the kind that likes... You know, Princess stories."

I was about to tell him that it's my dad's fault. He read me all Disney stories when I was a kid, every night before I go to bed. But then I don't feel like talking about my dad. And besides, it was also my dad who ruined it. He ruined the concept of happily ever after for me.

"I just wanted to see it on stage," I say, "I never thought I'd get to see it. Oh, shall we go to the middle and have your picture taken with that fake Spiderman?"

He laughs, "Why not. Hey, hold my hand so we won't be separated," he holds out his hand.

I smile, and I take his hand.

Right there in the middle of Times Square, we walk hand-in-hand toward the brightest lights.

###