Chapter 19

William has gotten us the VIP compartment, which means we don't have to line up and it is also just for the two of us. We sit across one another near the window, and I catch him watching while I put on my black leather jacket, fold my legs up on the chair, and place the provided blanket across.
"What?" I ask
He smiles and shrugs. "Cool jacket."
"Thanks."
The train starts moving. The sun is about to set down, so the view is beyond gorgeous.
"This is what I love about trains in Britain," I say, "I didn't quite have this in New York."
"Yes you mostly get around by subways."
"Well, sometimes I ride trains to D.C. but it isn't like this. The experience is different," I say.
"Why would you ride train to D.C.? Is that where your family is?"
"No, no. My family is in New York."
"What does your dad do?" he says, "If you don't mind me asking."
I pause.
"Ok, so you mind," he says, "Sorry. I didn't mean to..."
"No, no, no. It's fine. I was just thinking of how I can answer the question..." I pause again, "My dad is a lawyer."
"A lawyer? Wow," he says, "I didn't know why it's so hard for you to answer that."
"Yeah, but it's the bad kind of lawyer," I smile, "The kind that's hated by people."
"What do you mean, hated by people?"
"Do you know why I was sent to study here?" I ask, "It's because I was no longer able to study, or do anything in peace for that matter, anywhere in New York. The moment people know who my dad was, I was hated."
"Why, what did he do?"
"Well, he defended the wrong people. He does make a lot of money from them though, but it turned out bad. Really bad."
William pauses, seems to be unable to reply.
"How bad was it?" he finally asks.
"Well, it was bad when I left. But it's been 4 years. I don't think people have forgotten it entirely, but at least it's no longer the hot topic in town. It should be a lot better now."
"Should be? So you haven't gone back home since?"
Pamela shakes her head, "That's not the only problem occuring when I left. My mom went into this great depression stage, and she kind of... Drank her way into it. She was drinking so much, it was just...." Pamela sighs.
"I'm sorry Pam, I didn't know."
"No one knew. Well, I don't talk about it. You're the first person who now knows."
"Not even Christian?"
Pamela smiles, "I told you. We don't have that kind of relationship."

Will falls silent.

"But well," Pamela says, "My dad had this mistress... He wasn't home a lot. So I can't really blame my mom for drinking."
"Oh no."
"Yeah..." Pamela smiles, "But I'm used to it. I think that's what happens to powerful men. It's just biological. That's why my dad's like that, Christian's like that... They have it all, so in a way they just have to have it all, you know."
"I don't think that applies to all men."
"Really? Give me an example."
"Well, you know the story of my dad, so he's not exactly the example," he chuckles and they both end up laughing.
"But your mom is ok now? I mean, when was the last time you talked to her?"
"She's still drinking I think... We have a lady taking care of her, and she gives me updates. But she's okay, she hangs out with her friends, she invests some money in her friend's boutique or something."
"And your dad?"
"Well I don't speak to him anymore," Pamela says, "But I am sure he is doing fine. He's a tough cookie. I got that from him I think."
"Yeah, I think so," William says
They both fall silent. Pamela watch the sky turns yellow to red, and then deep red.
"Such a beauty," she says, "This is beautiful."
###

They arrive at the campus at 6:15 pm. Pamela and William decided to wait until everyone got off before they leave their compartment. So no one will see them.
"I think it's safe now," Pamela says, "I can't hear anything."
"Yes, ok," Will says

Pamela stands up and reach for the door. But then William places his palm on top of hers, and the door goes back shut. Pamela blinks. "What's going on?"
"I just want to say thank you," he says, "For letting me crash your trip. I had a really great time with you."
"Oh," Pamela says, "I think I should be the one to thank you. My backpacker trip ended up to be a Four Seasons trip," she chuckles.
William looks at her. Their faces were so close to each other and it was dark, so Pamela can't really catch his expression. They were so close, Pamela can even hear his breathing.
"Shall we go?" Pamela smiles, "Before this train leaves again."
Will pauses beforr he finally removes his hand and Pamela opens the door. They walk in silence toward the station. It was a chilly night.

"Pamela," someone suddenly says.
They stop in their track. Christian is standing right in front of them. As usual, he looks hot in his blue denim, sky blue polo, and a black button down jacket. He looks pissed, which makes him even hotter.
"Christian?" Pamela says in surprise, "What are you doing here?"
"I am picking you up," he says, "I told you on the phone earlier," he says, walking forward and takes Pamela's luggage off her hand.
"No, you asked me to call you when I arrive," Pamela says.
"Well you seem to never arrive, so," he grabs her hand and holds them tight, "Let's go."
"Can't we walk with Will too?" Pamela asks
Christian sighs, looking very, very pissed now. "Do we have too? I mean..."
"It's fine," Will says, "It's fine, Pamela. You guys go ahead."

Christian wraps his hand around my shoulders and as I turn around, I take a last look at Will. "Goodbye," I mouth to him and his lips curve into a smile.
###

Please vote and comment! :-)