Chapter 17

Hi everyone! Watch the trailer for Miss Saigon above if you want to know what Pamela & Will will be watching :-) It is also my favorite play of all time! And out of respect to the Creators, I won't spoil the plot. xxx

=======================

The moment Kim, the main character came out on stage, my heart is filled with so much excitement. I have always wanted to see Miss Saigon but I never caught them playing in New York. And when I arrived in UK, I thought they would never re-open. But it did, 3 months before graduation, and I am seeing it from the best seat in the house. I cannot believe how lucky I am right now.

Scene after scene, my emotions are going like a roller-coaster. The connection between Kim and the American soldier is very intense.

And then I just start thinking about my parents.
Oh, fuck.
"Hey, you alright?" Will asks me
I try not to look at him. "Yeah."
"I thought you like tragic endings. Crying is not the expression for like."
"Oh just be quiet."

Then the tune of The Last Night of The World song starts playing.
Oh fuck me this is so sad.

"Kim!!!!!!" the guy shouts as Kim runs across the stage, where she's seen running back to her hotel and sit on her bed.
"Pam?" I hear William hiss.
Bang. A loud noise.
"I love you Kim," the soldier says, "I have always loved you."
And the curtain draws closed.

I let out a deep breath. That was so beautiful.

###

"So did you like the play?" I ask William when we're back in the car.
"I like it a lot."
"Not too... Mellow for you?"
"Well it's a war story, it has to be mellow."
"Yeah."
"The actors were very good."
"I know, right!"
"Pam, listen..."
"Do you know the girl is Filipino?"
"I'm sorry?"
"Kim. She was a Filipino."
"Oh. I thought she was Vietnamese."
"In the story, yes. But the actress is Filipino."
"I see."
"You're not interested in these details."
"No," he says. "Anyway I need to ask you a question," he says
"What?"
"Can we go back to campus together tomorrow?"
"But I'll be on a train. I like..."
"You like train, I know. That's why I'll be on the train with you. We can get one of those private compartments."
"I think that's still risky. People will still recognize you."
"I will wear stuff. You'll see," he says.

We look at each other.
"Look Will..." I say, "It's not that I don't want to travel with you. I'd love to have a company. But you're so famous, and you have a girlfriend. I just don't want..."
"I know what you mean. Don't worry. No one will recognize me tomorrow."
He will never give up.

"Well ok," I say finally, "I'm getting on the 5 pm train. I'll meet you at the station."
"No. You don't get rid of me that easy."
"Sorry?"
"I already booked a hotel room for you. A safer one. I'm taking you there tonight."
"No! My stuff is..."
"I have arranged some help to take care of your stuff and have them moved while we're in the theater."
"What?"
"I'm sorry if that seems intruding. But you'll give me so much resistence if you know. That hotel is not safe. You're staying in a room where there's a murder once."
"Did you just make it up?"
"No! The security team told me. It's a dangerous neighborhood! Didn't you do some research before you book a hotel?"
"I don't have time for that, Will. Who has time for that?"
"People in general," he says, "You know what, let's not even talk about this anymore. We're going to the new hotel because your stuff is already there. So there's nothing you can do anymore."
"Geez."

###

The car stops in front of Four Seasons.
"Four Seasons, Will? Really?"
He smiles, "I remember you're speaking about J.Crew. It's just a walking distance from here."
I look at him and I can't help but to feel how kind he is. I smile, "You really are the best. Thanks."
He shrugs and smiles, "See you tomorrow ok."
I nod and get out of the car. I walk toward the steps and the doorman says, "Good evening Miss Pollak. Welcome to Four Seasons. My name is Andrew and I have been requested to be your butler. Let me take you to your suite."

###