Chapter 24

I wake up the next morning feeling extraordinarily hangover. Geez, never underestimate supermarket wine.

I reach my phone to look at the time. 2 missed calls and 1 text from Christian.

"Hi baby, I came to see you but the doorman says you're sleeping. Can you let me know asap when you wake up?"

Christian is going nuts, I tell you.

I punch his number.

"Hey baby," he picks up on the first ring. "Why you sleep so long? What time did you get back?"

"Christian, this is 9 am on a Saturday. This is like... dawn to me."

"Yeah, but I want to see you," he says, "I miss you."

Oh God, hearing him saying these kind of words just make me so...

"I have made reservation for us at La Quartier tonight. I'll pick you up at 7?"

"La Quartier?"

"Yes."

La Quartier is a hip French restaurant that everyone is currently buzzing about. Going there means to be seen by everyone in town.

"La Quartier and then sex," he says, "Deal?"

I chuckle, "Okay. See you at 7."

I hang up the phone and grab a glass of water beside my bed. I look down and find out that I'm still wearing the same clothes I wore last night. Except that I am wearing it inside out, meaning I was really, really in a hurry.

What happened last night?

"Can I come up?" William asks, he's wearing his pants while keeping himself in a sitting position.

"No no, people might see," I say while I quickly put my clothes on.

He grabs my hand and kisses it Prince-charming style, "Thanks for tonight. I think this is the most fun I've ever had."

I didn't say anything. I grab my clutch and get out of the limo. Did I just have sex with William? That cannot happen. That man is taken.

Right away, I feel so bad for Kate.

Maybe I should never meet William again for the rest of my life. I should not talk to him, we should really pretend we don't know each other. It was one night, and it was a charity got carried away. No one should know it happened. We should also forget it.

Someone knocks on my door.

"Pam? It's me, hurry open up before someone sees."

Christian just can't hold his arse, really. I got up, checked myself quickly in the mirror to make sure my hair is in place, and open the door.

It wasn't Christian.

It was William. In his jogging attire. Smiling widely at me.

"Oh my God!" I shriek, "You cannot be seen here!" I slam the door shut, "Go, Will!"

"What? No one is here, that's why let me in so no one will see!"

"No," I say, "Please, Will. You have to leave."

"Pamela, what is wrong?"

"I cannot do this."

"Well, at least explain to me why you cannot do whatever it is you think we're doing."

I am unable to answer, my lips are locked.

"Pam we're a grown-up, okay. I deserve some explanation. I will not leave until you open this door and give me that explanation."

It's true, this is very childish. I take a deep breath and turn around to open the door.

"What's going on?" he asks while he steps in, "You were all fine last night."

"Well, last night I slept with someone else's boyfriend!" I said, "Will, please. I cannot do this, I grew up watching my dad cheated on my mom left and right, and I knew how that behavior has destroyed my mom, how that behavior has made me not having a mom figure all those times. I'm sorry, but please, I cannot do this. We've gone too far."

He looks very shocked. "Pam, I..."

"Listen, I promise myself I will not remember last night and I will pretend it never happened. So you should too," I say, "Please."

"I can never pretend last night never happened!"

"You can. You have to!"

"Pamela, I am crazy about you!"

What.

"Excuse me?" I say, surprised.

"I am crazy about you," he says, "I can't stop thinking about you. I just have to see you, all the fucking time."

Oh wow, the Prince just said the F word.

"Listen to me," he says, trying to grab my hand but I flick them away, "Fine. I will not touch you. But you have to listen to me, okay. Listen. Since the day I saw you shouting at my friend in that class, I can't stop thinking about you. I know I am a man of many limitations, but goddamn it, I want you. I want you so much, Pamela."

He talks too emotionally, he's actually running out of breath.

"Like I said Will," I say finally, "I am not going to become something that has made my mom like she is now. We should forget what happened last night. Now please go. I don't want anyone to see you here."

He looks hurt.

###