Chapter 27

Thank God I only have one class left this semester, and thank God today is just a test day before summer. I cannot even begin to explain how people are staring at me at all times and how they whisper behind my back. I kind of wish they just confront me directly, so I can clarify. But no one did. They just read the media and choose to discuss without bothering to know what's my side of the story.

I finished my test after about 40 minutes. I put the paper on the designated desk and step outside the class. Christian has asked me to go see him at the soccer field after class, but I don't think I can bear the staring eyes in the size of soccer field. So I texted him saying I am going to head back to my room.

And plan to stay there for the rest of the spring break.

I was walking to see if the reporters are still there. Lauren texted me saying the school has escorted them out, but I needed to make sure. Halfway there, I saw William running towards me.

"Pamela," he says, "Pamela wait, I need to speak to you."

I am still very much angry with this person. And the fact that he still hasn't talked to media is making it even worse.

"Hey Will," I say cold, "Have you talked to media yet? I don't think so, yeah? Hearing what all those reporters were saying to me earlier."

"I'm sorry. That's why I need to speak to you urgently. You will be called by the Principal very soon, and you will meet some people from the Palace."

"What do you mean people from the Palace?"

"They're our communications team. They need to speak with you."

"Are they going to make you clarify your position in the media? If not, then there is no point of me-"

"Pamela, please. I need to speak to you."

"Well then speak!"

"Can we sit down? Please," he pointed at the bench, slightly hidden at the back of giant pine tree.

I follow him. The bench is so small, so we have no option but to sit down with our legs pressed against each other.

"Pam, you know I was born under uncomfortable circumstances..."

I scoff, "A palace cannot exactly be categorized as uncomf..."

"Pamela please, they are going to call you any minute now. I want to finish this so you will hear it from me first."

"Fine."

"When you wake up and find someone posted your picture on Facebook which you didn't like, you always have the option to erase it and move on. With me though, when I have my picture posted publicly, I don't have those options. I will have a bunch of people analyze the photo, and they will tell me if I should ignore it or whether I should arrange for another photo taken candidly that can make people forget about the previous photo. Either way, it isn't my own choice. It can never become my own choice."

I look at him. I know he feels hopeless. I can feel he's hopeless. And I understand the situation he just described to me. But still, I'm dragged into this situation where people are making false assumptions about me. The least he could do is to clarify them for me.

"These people will talk to you and tell you to not answering to any media. They will ask you to sign some papers of confidentiality. I have asked if we can give some clarification statements, but they say no."

William looks very miserable. But it doesn't stop me from getting very angry.

"You asked?" I say, "You demand, Will. Demand! Do it for me, I thought we're friends!"

"We are! Pamela, you're more than just friends to me."

"Really, Will? Because friends don't ruin each other's reputations. They protect it!"

My phone rings. It's the Principal.

***

"Miss Pollak, my name is Albert. I am the Palace's Head of Communications," a bald guy shakes my hand when I enter the room, "I am delighted to meet you. This is Lara, my colleague."

I shake their hands. I sit on the empty chair and William takes the chair beside me.

"Please keep this short, Al," William says.

"Of course, Your Highness," Albert says. He looks at me and he smiles, "Miss Pollak, you probably know why we asked to see you. There has been a couple of news about you and Mr. Wales... And we reckon they will not go away quickly."

"Why not?" I ask

Albert looked surprised to hear my question. I think he expected to give 3 min long speech, uninterrupted.

"W-Well, because the media likes this sort of story."

"You mean lies?" I ask

"I'm sorry?"

"Media likes lies?" I repeat, "Because none of what they write is true."

"W-Well..." he shakes his head, suddenly looking nervous. "Yes, they may have exaggerated things a little bit, but some parts may cause the other."

He must be referring to the picture of me and William in Color Run Parade.

"So, Miss Pollak, based on experiences we've had with things like this, sometimes the one thing to stop the media is by not saying anything," he says, "That's why we would like to ask you to sign these confidentiality papers to ensure you're not going to give any statements to the public about this incident, Mr. Wales, or any other member of the Palace."

I look at him. And then I look at William. He looks very miserable, like he knows I'm about to burst in anger and scream my lungs out.

But there's a difference between fighting for something with a chance to work out, and fighting for something that is going to end up as nothing.

The latter, is a waste of time and energy.

"So Miss Pollak," Albert says, "If you can kindly sign..."

I take the pen from him and sign the damn papers in an instant.

Then I stand up and say, "You guys don't have to go all the way here to do this. I was never planning to say anything to media, or anyone else for that matter. I like to keep my life private because I don't like it when people spread lies about my family or my friends. Because I care about them. I care about my friends and family so much, I wouldn't want to see them being blamed for something they did not do. Now when they do experience something like that, I'll shout from the top of the mountain to make sure it's clarified," I pause. Then I look at Will and smile, "I guess that's the difference between you and me, Will."

I step out of the principal's room. I feel like breaking down in tears because I feel so angry, but I don't think this is worth it. I hear William's calling my name, I guess he decides to run after me and explain what's already been explained. But I kept walking, remembering the latter.... Why fight for something that's going to end up as nothing.

Then I see a figure running toward me, just how I feel William is almost reaching me. It's Christian. "There you are!" he says, "I thought you went back. What happened?"

Then he sees William behind me. And he sees the two men from the Palace about to follow him.

Christian looks at me and says, "You're coming home with me for summer break. Let's get you out of here."

###

Thanks everyone for reading... The next parts will already be the Final parts, as I call them. Hope you're excited to see how this ends! xxx