Chapter 30

I arrived in New York near evening, and the first person I think of when I land is my mother. I head straight to the hospital where she's being treated.

"She is inside," my mom's PA says, "She has not woken up from the surgery. But the doctor said she has survived the worse."

My mother is alive.

I was about to walk over to my mom's door, but I catch a glimpse of her from the window right beside her bed. I stop and watch her from there.

My mom is a beautiful woman, you would say. She has these gorgeous long legs, long black hair, and a lips that accentuate the sensual look she carries. She does inherit all of them to me, but there is always one thing she kept all to herself which I hoped she'd share: the unhappiness.

My mom started drinking even before my dad cheated on her. So at one way or another, you could even assume my dad cheats because my mom drinks too much. But still, my mom said to me one night , husbands should have sticked with their wives, for better or worse. But not your dad, she said, he chose the easier option. Never went for a man who chooses easier options when times get tough for him, my mom said to me. That man won't be a gentleman. Gentlemen will bear hardships. Especially for you.

I feel my eyes starting to get hot. I don't know whether it's because I'm seeing her laying there unconcious, or I'm too tired to experience all of this at the same time... I just want to break down and cry. I just want to sit on the floor and start crying my eyes out, if I may.

Please.

But I cannot do that. I won't do that. The world certainly does not need two people being suicidal.

I decided to get myself some coffee. Maybe it will help a little bit. I walk around to find the coffee machine, and I see a bunch of people standing in front of the small TV placed in waiting lounge.

And then I hear William's voice.

"I met Miss Pollak in class, and from there we became friends..."

Oh my God.

I walk fast toward the TV. I squeeze in between the crowd, and see William on screen, standing in front of a row of microphones, wearing a grey suit, blue shirt, and black tie.

"The media has been reporting many things about our friendship, and that is why I am standing here today, to say that not all that you read or heard is true. I believe that this situation has created a great deal of discomfort to Miss Pollak and her family, and for that I am asking the media to stop speculating, and give her the respect she deserves. And most of all, privacy."

William pauses to take a breath before he continues.

"When you're a 23-year-old attending college, just like any other 23-year-olds attending college out there, you live to make friends. Because the friends you make will become the stories you remember for the rest of your lives. For me, Miss Pollak was one of those friends. Contrary to what has been written or said, Miss Pollak was genuine, and she never had any intention whatsoever but to spend the remaining of our college days in a pleasant, memorable way, just like any other student. Contrary to what has been written or said by the media, Miss Pollak has not, or never intended to, broke any relationships."

"I told you!" I heard a girl from among the TV-watching crowd reacts, "I told you there is no way William would date an American girl!"

"The only reason I'm standing here today, is for a friend. Because as I have learned, you won't become a good friend if you do not defend them, especially when they're being attacked by false rumours. I understand that under my circumstances as a member of the Royal family, this sort of situation happens, or maybe will happen again. It's the risk of being friends with me. But that's not what I wish of her, or all my friends who have kindly created stories that made my life. And it is with all my heart that I wish for the good stories, sometimes bad stories, to continue to unfold, because like all of you, I only have one chance in this world. I only have one chance to be friends with someone like Miss Pollak. And I would not wish for a chance like that to go away."

"Ohhhh..." the crowds around me react again.

"I think he's in love with her, don't you?" someone comments.

"Therefore I plead to all of you, friends of the press, to please lay the rumours to rest. Both Miss Pollak and I are graduating soon, and we would like to do this in peace, and if I'm lucky- to remain as friends. I thank everyone for your kindness and support for me and my family over the years. Good afternoon."

As soon as William stops talking, the crowd starts bickering. I decide to withdraw myself, and walk away. I feel like I'm floating away from the crowd. Never mind the coffee anymore. I think I need to sleep.

I need a good, peaceful sleep because I am very tired.

***