Chapter 29

Christian is the one leaking the information to the press?

"What?" I look at him, "Why would he do this?" I look at Christian, "Is this true?"

He falls silent, looking much like a child who got his hand caught in the cookie jar.

"We have a copy of his email exchanges with the media," Lara says.

"Hey, that's a breach of privacy!" Christian shouts.

"Not when the other party, in this case the media, agreed to give us the information," Albert says.

I look at Christian with a great disbelief. I cannot believe this! I remember when I asked how come the press knew where I was, he casually said, "This just happens you know. They're like Sherlock Holmes."

And I believed him. I believed him! I believed he was the one who was going to save me from this madness. Yet instead, he was the one creating it.

"I need to go," I say quickly, "I need to get out of here."

And just then my phone rang. It's the ringtone I set specifically for the two most important people: my dad's lawyer and my mom's PA. I ran upstairs and locked the door behind me, feeling afraid Christian is going to follow me. I can't deal with him anymore.

"Hello?" I answer the call.

"Pamela?" it's my mom's PA, "Pamela honey, I'm sorry if I wake you up at this hour, but I have some news."

"What's going on?" I ask

"Your mother..." she says, starting to break down in tears. "Your mother... She tried to kill herself."

It is as if something heavy just fell and is now being pressed against my chest. I couldn't breathe. I knew this sort of behavior was possible, considering her conditions over the years, her doctor has warned me, but I never thought she would actually do it.

"Okay," I say after I manage to calm myself down, "You hang in there okay, I'm coming home."

***

"I need to go to New York," I say to Albert while carrying all my stuff down from the room, "Can you guys help me with that?"

"Pamela, you can't..." Christian starts saying, but the bodyguard pushes him, so he shuts up.

"Yes, yes Miss Pollak. We actually think that it's the best idea for now, so the British press cannot find you."

"Why?" I ask, "Is there more news about to come out?"

Albert and Lara exchange glances. Nervous.

"I think we should talk about this later," Albert says, "Are you ready to leave?"

"No!" I say, "I want to know. Please."

Albert takes a long deep sigh and says, "They manage to get a picture of you and William in London."

"What?"

"Upon knowing that you both went to London together..." Albert looks at Christian to put his emphasis on blaming him, "They went to investigate. And these journalists... You know. Went into CCTVs and sorts..."

I feel my stomach clenches. Shit. Shit. The color run parade picture can always be explained as a school event. But us being in London together?

"Which CCTV?" I asked

Please don't say the Four Seasons.

"The London Theatre."

A bit sigh of relief. But I look at Christian and I say to him, "I don't understand why you did it. What's in it for you? Fame?"

"Miss Pollak, I highly suggest..." Albert starts talking but Christian cuts him.

"Well, because he couldn't do that, could he? He has a girlfriend! He has no right to do that to you!"

"Christian, William and I were friends. We didn't-"

"That's according to you, Pamela!" he shouts, "Are you going to look at me and say that he has no feelings for you? It's bollocks! He obviously was trying. And that makes me mad."

"Why does it make you mad? I'm not your girlfriend. And what William feels is none of your damn business, does it? And you could have just told him straight! Why go through all this? You've embarrassed my family, Christian! You fucking ruined everything. Because of you, my mom is dying now! You are fucking out of my life!"

I picked up my stuff and said to Albert, "Let's go!"

***

Albert has apparently arranged a private jet to fly me to New York that very night. We were mostly silent on our way to the airport. Lara asked me if I needed anything, but I just shook my head and we fall quiet again.

When we arrive at the runway, Albert finally says, "Miss Pollak, William left me a message for you."

I closed my eyes. Oh. I feel pain, like I'm about to cry.

I am so tired.

"Where's he now?" I ask

"He wanted to come, but he figured you wouldn't want to see him..." Albert says, "So he just asked me to tell you that he's very sorry, of what happened."

I pause for a moment and then I nod. I reach for the door and I get off the car. Right now, all I know is I need to go as far as possible. I need to get out of here right now.

"Miss Pollak, wait," Albert says again before I get to the plane stairs.

I turn around. He left Lara and walked closer to me. Then he says softly, "Miss Pollak, I have worked with the Royal family for a really, really long time. I have watched how people were told to shut up, and not able to express what they really feel, and how it killed them slowly inside. As much as it's hard for me to see it happens, I know it's harder for them."

"Albert, I understand-"

"No, no, I'm not finished..." he says, "I am not supposed to tell you this, but tomorrow, William is going to hold a press conference to clarify what the media has been saying about you."

I blink in surprise. "I thought he is not allowed do that."

"Yes, the entire family advised him against it. It is not something they usually do. They always just opt to be quiet. But not this time, no. He is going against the rule, for you."

I fall silent.

"Look, the only thing I want to tell you here is that I have never seen, or rather expected to see William acting this way. He must really, deeply care about you," Albert says, "And I don't want you to get on that plane thinking anything less."

We both look at each other. The night wind starting to get stronger and I feel chills.

"See you, Albert," I say, turn around and climb the stairs.

***

Almost the ending! Thanks everyone who's reading :-)