Chapter 1

"Hey, wait!"

Y/n, who had been walking down the hallway, stopped and turned to see who was calling her. An unfamiliar face greeted her.

The girl who had chased after her was short, with white and sea foam colored hair and a skull brooch. Y/n noticed she had... unusually fat ankles. She decided not to comment.

"Um, yes?" She said awkwardly. Being social was not one of her strong points, especially since she was the new kid.

"We're in the same class, and I thought you looked lonely!" The girl said, smiling sweetly. "Hi, I'm Nene Yashiro, but call me Nene-chan! Wanna be friends?" Y/n blinked at her before it sunk in.

"Wait, you wanna be friends with me?" She said uncertainly. Nene nodded.

"Yup! I've been in your situation before, so I know what it's like. What's your name?" She asked. 

"Uh, Y/n L/n." She said. Nene smiled.

"Cool! Can I call you Y/n-chan? It sounds friendlier!" Y/n nodded, a little taken aback. This girl... she was adorable...

Then, a boy appeared beside Nene. He wore an old school uniform, and had choppy black hair. He gave a pout at Nene. 

"Geez, you're getting too friendly!" He whined. "I'm getting jealous!" Nene squeaked and turned her head slightly and said, "Don't scare me, she'll think I'm crazy!" Y/n smiled to herself, as she knew what was going on.

Ever since she was five years old, Y/n had been able to see spirits. She had seen them everywhere; floating around her house, down the streets, and, more recently, at the school. She understood that almost no one could see them, so she paid them no heed. However, it seemed that Nene could see apparitions, too.

Y/n decided to play dumb.

"What's wrong?" She asked Nene, feigning innocence. Nene gave her a forced smile, obviously embarrassed.

"O-oh, it's nothing!" She panicked. "I thought I heard something, that's all!" The ghost boy rolled his eyes and nudged her.

"School's out." He whispered. "Come to the bathroom." The bathroom...? Y/n didn't question it. 

"Sorry, I've gotta go." Nene said, returning to her cheerful state. "But if you ever wanna talk, just let me know!" She passed Y/n and waved. 

"Will do." Y/n said, waving back. Then, she continued walking back home.

~Time skip~

"Where were you?"

Y/n held her cheek, feeling heat in the stinging area.

"I-I'm sorry, mom..." She said, tears pricking her eyes. If only she hadn't stopped to talk with Nene-chan... if only she had gone straight home, this never would've happened.

"Sorry isn't good enough!" Mom yelled, throwing her book at Y/n. She missed, which made her angrier. "You were an hour late, you useless piece of trash! How am I supposed to live decently if my daughter is such a failure?! I bet you were talking with 'SPIRITS' again, weren't you?!" Y/n shook her head frantically, the tears now flowing.

"No, mom, I wasn't-" Another slap, this one much harder. It sent her reeling into the wall. 

"Are you contradicting me, brat?!" Mom buried her face into her hands. "God, why did you have to be born... why couldn't you have been pretty and smart instead of... of this?!" She grabbed a lamp and flung it at Y/n. This time, she hit. The lamp's base hit Y/n's shoulder, leaving a large, throbbing area. Y/n cried out in pain.

"Shut up!" Mom screeched. "You're a monster! All my life, I've had you nagging me about 'ghosts' and 'apparitions,' and I'm tired of it! You're just looking for attention, you worthless child!!" She kicked Y/n, her foot connecting with her upper arm in the same place the lamp hit her. She cried out again, sinking to the ground. Mom breathed heavily, before straightening up and sighing.

"Your father will be home soon." She said coldly. "If he asks, you will tell him that you fell down the school stairs today. Understood?"

"U-Understood..." Y/n repeated, biting her lip and squeezing her arm. Her mother nodded.

"Good. Now, go do your homework. And," She added, turning away, "if you're ever late again, it will be far worse." She walked out of the room, leaving Y/n to sob to herself, curled up in a little ball.

~~~~~~~~

First chapter complete! Okay, how was it?

Give me your honest feedback, please!

New chapter coming soon!