Chapter 35

~Nene's POV~

When Nene came back to school, a few weeks had passed. Somehow, she had convinced her mom to let her stay home, but today her mother had been firm with her.

"There's no way you've been sick for this long, Nene!" She exclaimed. "Get up and go to school!"

Nene dreaded seeing Hisato, but when she got into the classroom, he wasn't there.

"Huh?" She asked herself.

"Hey, Yashiro-san's back!"

"Wow, you were gone for a long time!"

"Are you okay, Yashiro?"

Nene found herself crowded by people, all wondering how she was.

"I'm fine, I'm fine!" She yelped, unused to the attention.

"Alright class, settle down." The teacher said, smiling at Nene. "I'm sure we're all happy that Yashiro-san is back, but we need to begin. However..." The teacher stopped smiling.

"I'm sorry to inform you that Y/n L/n will not be coming to this school anymore."

Murmurs filled the classroom. Nene was shocked; what had happened?

"I heard she killed herself..."

"She was stabbed, right? Sounds more like a murder to me..."

"She killed her mom, didn't she...?"

Nene felt her heart stop.

"Excuse me, sensei!" She called, standing. The teacher looked at her in surprise.

"What is it, Yashiro?" She asked. 

"What happened to Y/n-chan?" Nene asked worriedly. The teacher looked away with sadness.

"She died yesterday." She said quietly. "She was stabbed in the stomach and found in her home. Her mother was dead, too; stabbed several times. Her mother was abusive to her, so the police suspect that Y/n was stabbed by her mom, and then killed her before dying. There were two kids at the scene, as well... they had been called by Y/n before she died, they said. The authorities interviewed them, and that's how they found out about the abuse. The two of them were said to have been talking to themselves, comforting empty air..."

Nene had stopped listening.

Her body felt numb with shock.

"Thank you, sensei..." She said robotically, sitting back down.

"Um, of course..." The teacher said, before talking about the case to the rest of the class.

~Time skip (Sakura's POV)~

Ever since the night before, Tsukasa hadn't spoken a word.

He had suddenly told Sakura and Natsuhiko that they had to go to Y/n, and so the ran to her home guided by the boy.

They had found Y/n dead, and called the police.

Sakura would never forget the look upon Tsukasa's face as he stepped closer to Y/n's body. She and Natsuhiko had tried to comfort him, but he just sat by Y/n, holding and caressing her hand.

"She's so cold..." He had said quietly. "Do I feel like this...?"

That was the last thing he said.

Now, the boy sat in the chair farthest from the door, staring off into space.

Sakura was worried about him.

Finally, she went up to the rooftop, unable to bear the sad silence any longer.

The breeze gently rustled her hair, and it was refreshing.

Then, Sakura spoke.

"Hey, Y/n." She said. "I'm not sure if you can hear me right now, but I hope you can. Everything's a mess right now. Tsukasa really loves you, and now he won't say a word. I know you couldn't help it, but... I wish you hadn't died. Tsukasa misses you, and..." Sakura wiped a tear that had escaped. "I miss you, too. You were a good friend..." 

"Thank you, Sakura..." A voice said from behind her.

Sakura spun around, and came face to face with Y/n.

"What...?" She whispered. The other girl smiled awkwardly, the sunlight catching on her H/c hair.

"I said thank you." She repeated. "For saying that. It was really nice."

"No... how are you here?" Sakura asked in disbelief, stepping towards Y/n.

"I'm an apparition, now." She said, shrugging. "It's weird having people not be able to see me. And I still don't understand the whole 'floating' thing quite yet. But that's okay-"

Sakura engulfed Y/n in a hug, not bothering to wipe the tears.

"Thank god you're back..." She said, smiling. "I thought we'd lost you forever..."

Y/n paused before returning the hug.

"It's good to be back."

~~~~~~~

I couldn't leave you guys off with that last chapter, soooo...

Here!

New chapter coming soon!