Chapter 9 - Chasing Pavements

Sam realized he was in my class as we were walking there, and he had gotten really excited that he didn't have to spend the next hour away from me. I blushed bright pink when he said that. 

Sam's fingers were wrapped tightly around my wrist as we stepped through the door. I was trailing behind him by half a meter and he turned around and said, "You can walk next to me, you know. The doorway's big enough." He then dropped my wrist and fell into a scribbled on seat at the front of the classroom. I laughed nervously and sat next to him, pushing my books to the edge of the desk.

I picked at my jagged fingernail for the next couple of minutes, trying not to be awkward with Sam. He was now playing a game on his phone and not bothering to create conversation. I just didn't know what to say. "Hey, girl!" Unique shouted as she walked in, walking past my table and to the back of the classroom where she fell into her seat and opened up her phone.

"Hey," I mumbled back, but I guessed she couldn't have heard me.

"I don't think she heard you," Sam whispered, stating the obvious. It was almost like he could read my mind.

"You think?" I laughed, turning my head to look at him. He laughed, before going silent, and then he just stared at me and I stared back.

My heart started to beat a little bit faster as he looked at me. Are you really doing this, Marley Rose?  Are you really beginning to like Sam? 

"Er, well," Sam said, looking away from me. Phew, the more I stared at those green eyes, the more painful it would be for me. 

Don't look at the eyes, Marley.

Our teacher walked in and sat down on his desk. "Now," he said, clapping his wrinkly hands together "Let's start this lesson, okay?" He turned away from the class and then mumbled, "And get it over with." 

I smiled and let out a quiet laugh.

"What?" Sam whispered, leaning over to me the slightest bit, his head scarily close to mine. I turned to face him and my lips almost lined up with his.

"Nothing," I whispered back, smiling. Oh God, he's so pretty.

***

The clock ticked slowly but the day seemed to end in no time.

After classes had ended, I ran straight to the nearest girls bathroom and got changed into my black dress and put on my grey newsboy cap, ready for our Glee club rehearsal this afternoon!

I left the bathroom and made my way to the auditorium, where I was supposed to meet the rest of the Glee club. "Marley!" A voice called for me down the hallway, along with the familiar sound of Unique's high heels.

I stopped and turned around to see her attempting to run towards me. "Okay," she said, slowing down and stopping next to me. "I honestly didn't want to walk alone - with the risks of getting slushied, you know." She began to walk beside me, head held high and a sassy sting in her step, looking completely fabulous. I wished I could be as comfortable in my body as she was.

I was nervous as we entered the auditorium and spotted the entire Glee club standing on the stage, already rehearsing. Were we late? We must have been late. I started walking down the stairs, following a few meters behind Unique, concentrating on every step so I didn't fall to my death on my shaking legs.

I got down to the stage and watched everyone carefully as they all stared back at me. "What?" I asked, shrugging and pulling down the back of my dress self-consciously.

"Well, since you're one of our newbies we were thinking you could sing lead for today's practice." Tina said with a small, spiteful smile - she really didn't look happy about this decision.