Chapter 12 - Boys/ Boyfriend

I knew exactly what was going on -  we were going to kiss. This was going to be so awkward! I had never kissed anyone before and the thought of kissing somebody just seemed weird... yet at the same time, I wanted to kiss Jake so badly.

I was kind of nervous, but instead of going for it, I pulled away and made up an excuse. "It's kinda cold." I blurted out, backing away from Jake. Jake simply laughed and took off the leather jacket he was wearing. 

"Take it." He whispered, throwing the jacket around my shoulders. I grabbed onto it and wrapped it around me. The jacket was warm and I couldn't help but smile. His kindness was driving me insane.

"Thanks, Jake."

"You're welcome."

There was a loud sound of a bell before we could say anything else. "We better-" We both begun at the same time. We both laughed and ran down the steps of the bleachers. Jake and I practically raced to our classes, which were both different. I didn't really want to leave him.

"Bye, Jake." I whispered as I turned into the classroom I was meant to go to. Jake ran down the empty hall way, turning back to me to wave goodbye. I smiled and pulled the leather jacket around my shoulders tighter.

I pushed open the door to the classroom to have every pair of eyes on me. "Sorry." I mumbled, running to the spare seat next to Brittany. I slid into the seat, gripping my notebook tightly and anxiously... but also, I was just so happy. 

"I forgive you for that, Miss Rose." The teacher said, turning back to the blackboard and writing down the questions from a text book.

"What happened?" Brittany asked, keeping her eyes on her drawing she was doing on a black piece of paper. She drew a rainbow at the top of the page with a big smiley face.

"Nothing, really." I mumbled, admiring Brittany's drawing. It was good for something done in crayon. "That's a really nice drawing, Britt."

"Miss Rose!" The teacher shouted, dropping his marker on the table.

"Yes?" I asked nervously, turning my head towards the room. I could feel myself beginning to sweat out of nerves. The whole class was staring at me, eyebrows raised. 

"What are you whispering about there?"

"Nothing." I said quickly. I smiled nervously and watched the teacher turn back to the board, continuing to teach. I pretended I was listening but really, I was thinking about Jake and I before and how we nearly kissed before. It made my heart pound. 

***

I spent the entire lesson thinking about that almost kiss. It was probably a waste of time; I could have been thinking about my growing amount of assignments or actually doing work. It was a great moment, though, and I wanted it to last forever. I didn't only spend that lesson, I spent the rest of them up until lunch playing over the scene in my mind.

I made my way to the cafeteria and looked around the crowded room, not seeing Jake anywhere. I shrugged it off and walked to the lunch line, secretly pulling out my free-lunch coupons and hiding them in my hand, squeezing them to the point that they crinkled.

"Well, if it isn't Jelly-Belly's daughter!" That jock, Phil, said from behind me. I rolled my eyes and hoped that the line would delay so Mom wouldn't hear them insulting her. I hated when they did this. 

"Are you an only child? Or do you have a twin in still in there?" Bobby, the blonde one, asked. I then approached Mom, who didn't seem to hear their cruel comments.

"Dude, imagine the size of her dumps." Bobby whispered to Phil, chuckling. I could still hear them. I thanked Mom for the food and walked to get out of the line but heard Bobby say something to mom; "Is that all I get? Why so stingy, Salad Dodger?" Mom stayed silent, not bothering to stand up for herself. I wanted to cry.