Chapter 25 - Holy Ground

I hesitated for half a second before reaching my hand down, putting it in Ryder's. This wasn't the first time he had ever held my hand, but it felt the most special. He had nice, soft hands, and the way his fingers fell in between mine felt so perfect, like it was meant to be. We walked down the side of the road holding hands, like a real couple, and as he swung my hand back and forth the butterflies in my stomach just kept on erupting, like a volcano unable to control it's lava. I couldn't wipe the smile from my lips and it seemed like he was having the same problem.

He must like me back. Why else would he be like this around me? Why else would he ask me on a date, as well? He had to have liked me back and that made my stomach flip.

Ryder and I talked and talked and talked on the way to our study place, laughing and joking around with each other. I was getting more comfortable talking to him and I felt like I could be myself, no embellishing of myself and no lies. Just Marley Rose and Ryder Lynn and that spark.

Ryder lead me to a rock garden in the middle of a field with a large hill in the center, dipping down by a few meters and then coming back up on the other side. "This place is really nice!" I exclaimed, dropping Ryder's hand and sitting on the ground on the south facing slope.

"Yeah, it is," Ryder agreed, falling next to me and dumping his bag on the ground.

"How'd you find this place?" I asked, gazing around me at the trees, the flowers growing in the bushes, and the surroundings. It was so beautiful to look at. 

"My mom and my brother and I used to come here sometimes when I was little and I admit, I like it a lot. It's sort of my secret resting place. We don't come much anymore, but it holds a lot of memories." I controlled the urge to 'aw' aloud at his explanation. He was adorable and the story of this place was adorable. I felt lucky he wanted to share it with me. 

I looked over at him and he was already staring at me, leaning backwards on his hands. I moved over slightly so our arms were resting again each others, and I could immediately feel the tension. "Uh, thank you for sharing this place with me. It's lovely."

"You're welcome." He whispered, sitting up beside me, his face barely an inch from my own.

Cheeks burning, stomach flipping, the same old feeling he kept on giving me came back. But I didn't want to let him distract himself from his work. "W-we should probably get started." I stuttered with a weak smile, grabbing my bag and pulling out a couple of my old work books and text books and throwing them in front of us.

"Before we start, Marley, can I tell you a secret?" Ryder whispered, laying down and trusting his elbows to hold him up.

"Of course you can." I said, looking away from the books and to Ryder. I was honored he was willing to share a secret with me.

"I know I can trust you and you won't tell anyone, but I'm gonna tell you anyway. You can't tell anyone at all about this, alright? I don't want anyone to know about this." He said, seriousness filling his eyes.

"Never. My lips are sealed."

"When... I have... Ever... Since..." He couldn't seem to find the right words. I laid down next to him and leaned my head on my hand, watching him breathe in and out and try to speak. He sighed and put his head on the grass, looking at the clouds in the sky. "I guess..." He started, before sighing again. We stayed silent for a couple of seconds, Ryder's heavy breathing the only sound I could hear apart from the rustle of tree branches. I smiled at Ryder's concerned face, the few little lines between his eyebrows. We remained silent and I didn't push him to say anything; if he wanted to tell me, he could, but I wasn't going to force it out of him. So I just stared at him, watching him think. "You're amazing, you know that?" He said suddenly. It took me by complete surprise and I sat up a bit straighter. "Before you say anything, I mean it. You're an amazing singer, an incredible dancer, you're so lovely to be around and you're funny. You're so pretty and..." He trailed off there, just staring over at me. I just looked at the ground and blushed; what could I say? "Other people, once I'd tell them I'd have a secret to spill, they'd persist, but you? You're respecting to me, to everyone... even to Kitty, and she doesn't deserve it."