Chapter 36 - Turn Your Face

Ryder swung my hand back and forth as we walked down the hallway together. He had a tight grip on my hand, his fingers intertwined with mine. Just the way he held my hand made me feel so happy. "So, just double checking, you want to go on a real, proper date tonight?" 

"Yes, Ryder," I laughed, leaning into him. I rested my cheek on his bicep. "Tonight." 

"Okay, okay, I'll pick you up at 7 and we'll go to Breadstix. I'm really craving an endless salad bowl." Ryder gave me a small peck on the lips - which just made me feel all tingly inside - before he ran off to his locker down the stairs. I walked to my own locker to grab my homework books, and on the way I passed the auditorium. 

"In my memory, all the small things, like daggers in my mind," 

I peeked through the fire exit and saw Kitty, practicing a Little Mix song without music. I slid into the auditorium and tip toed down the steps. Kitty was completely into the song, and her eyes almost looked like they were starting to water. 

"In my memory, my head bleeds the words I'll never find. That I always meant to say to I-"

Kitty let out an angry groan and turned towards the piano on the far side of the stage. She sat on the stool and smashed her head against the keys. "I can't do this!" She sung to herself. 

I jumped up onto the stage and walked up behind Kitty. "Want me to play it for you?"

Kitty jumped. "Oh, Marley, hi. I... I don't need to practice with the music, I just need to learn these words. I want to perform this tomorrow in Glee club. My big debut." I could see that her confidence and the cockiness she was trying to convey was fake. 

"It's okay to be nervous, Kitty." I smiled. 

"I'm not!" 

I backed down. "Maybe listening to the music could help you learn the words? We'll just run through it, just really quickly." I walked over to the piano and sat down in front of the keys. 

"Only because you want to." Kitty spat out with an eye roll. "Count me in." 

I turned around to look at her. 

"Please?"

"One, two, three," I hit the keys on the piano. 

***

After a few (long) hours of practicing Turn Your Face, Kitty knew the song like the back of her hand. It was good for me, too, though, because I got the chance to practice my rusty piano skills. 

"Thanks for all of that, Marley." Kitty smiled at me. 

"Anything for a friend!"

We stayed silent for a couple of seconds, just awkwardly looking at each other.  "I have to go." We both said in unison. This made us laugh and after that we finally said our goodbyes. I walked out of the auditorium and to my locker where I was planning to go two hours ago. 

I took a quick look down at my watch as I strolled. 5:56. Wait, was it nearly six o' clock? Oh no, that only gave me an hour to get ready for my date with Ryder! There was only one way I was going to get home in time - and that was to run. 

***

I saw cross legged on my bed, staring at my reflection in the mirror, brushing my hair over and over. I was waiting for that knock to sound through the house. I looked at the clock above my bed. It read 7:12. He had to be here soon, right?

A few moments later I heard the knock I had been expecting. I poked my head into mom's bedroom and gave her a kiss goodbye, before I skipped over to the front door. I opened it and saw Ryder waiting on the front step, arms nervously behind his back. "Hey there," I smiled, wrapping my arms around his shoulders. I pressed a kiss to his cheek.