Chapter 18 - Blow Me One Last Kiss

As soon as the bell rang, I watched Jake jump out of his seat and run out of the classroom almost at the speed of light. I sighed, shaking my head at him, and walked past the new guy again.

He was still seated, writing down a few more notes, the guy in front of him not shutting up. "I think it's a great idea. You seem like a talented football player and when I was a football player, it only heightened my skills, Ryder..." I heard the older guy that was standing in front of him say, shaking his hand tightly.

Ryder, huh? What an odd name.

I sent this mysterious Ryder guy a big, bright, and hopefully attractive smile as I walked past him to leave the room. He waved slightly at me, his cheeks going slightly red, before turning back to the other guy and saying something else.

I scrunched up my face in the biggest smile I had probably had all month and pulled my books tightly against my chest, bringing my shoulders up in absolute excitement. I definitely saw that correctly; he so blushed!

"Marley!" I heard Sam call me whilst I was walking down the hall.

"Oh, hey," I grinned as Sam caught up with me, now walking beside me.

"Why so happy this morning?" Sam asked me, raising his eyebrows. For some reason, Sam's effect on me had gone away. I wished it was still there though, because I had the most chance to be with him out of all of the other guys I liked. And he was older and would make me seem so much cooler!

"It's nothing, just a good day." I mumbled, still smiling. He waved at me, oh my God!

"Uh, so Wade, Unique? I don't know, what they are anymore, honestly... that person told me you were auditioning for the school musical! What are you going to try out as? The lead?"

"I'm going for Sandy," I excitedly nodded my head, "and I really, really want to get it."

"Well, I'm going to try for, what's that dudes name? Oh, yeah, Kenickie! I got hit my a car door once and I kind of want to relive that moment on stage, ya know?" Sam smiled, smoothing back his hair and winking at me.

I just laughed, throwing my head back. "Sam, I'm sure you'll get it." I tucked my hair behind my ear and smiled at Sam, watching his grin get bigger and bigger as I laughed with him.

I looked around me as we walked, keeping an eye out for any hazards I could run into, and out of the corner of my eye I caught Ryder walking down the hallway beside us, shuffling around with an armful of books. I pretended not to see him - I was playing hard to get - hoping he didn't notice me looking just now and earlier.

Ryder stopped suddenly in the hallway and dumped his stuff on the floor, dusting off his hands. That was the moment I decided I should help; I put a hand on Sam's shoulder, said a quick goodbye, and went to run to Ryder. But he had finished putting his stuff in his arms again already. He moved his gaze to me as he started to walk off and gave me this slightly upset but nevertheless a smile.

A moment of confusion and then I realised my hand was still on Sam's shoulder; he probably thought that Sam was my boyfriend... but I couldn't imagine that anymore.

"So, uh, I better go, I'll see you this afternoon." Sam glanced at his phone. I saw it was a message from Blaine. I nodded and with that, Sam ran away. I waved to him as he left me and he waved back, barely even looking up from his phone.

Ryder was gone by that point and I gave a heavy sigh, walking off.

***

Lunch time came around and I was basically a nervous wreck - it was time for mine and Unique's audition. Despite the nerves, I think I knew I was going to kill it.