Chapter Twenty Six: True Comfort

"You can come to see him." The doctor had led us into the room Renjun was in.

I slowly walked in the room, to see Renjun on a hospital bed. He was covered up and had a breathing mask on his face. 
"Why was it so bad that he had to get oxygen?" The thought came across me. We all gathered around him. Renjun's eyes were closed. He has a bunch of scratches and scrapes. There were a lot of bandages surrounding him. My parents sat down on chairs that were by his hospital bed. I looked closer at him. "This doesn't look like just a car crash.." I muttered as I slowly touched his hand. 
He was cold. 
I gulped. "He will wake up," Haechan said as he stood beside me. I kept looking back at Renjun's face. "There has to be something more than this.." I muttered.
"What do you mean?" Haechan looked at me. 
My parents were focused on Renjun that they didn't hear me. "The doctors aren't telling us something. This isn't just some attempt of mugging and crash. That sounds too made up...plus he looks.." I kept looking all over him. "How do you know?" 
I looked down. "I just feel it." I couldn't shake this feeling that was over me. It was an odd feeling. "How about we sit down?" Haechan went back to sit down in a chair that was in the corner of the room. 
I looked back at him. He was looking at me with a concerned stare. I shrugged and slowly walked up to him. "You should rest." He breathed.
"I want to, but, I am just so nervous. I have a very off feeling." I let out a big sigh. I kept looking back at Renjun, thinking something was going to happen within a few seconds. "How about you sit down?" As he said that I looked back at him. I looked around. "There's no other chairs." I scratched my head. 
Haechan pointed to his lap. "You can sit on my lap." 
My eyes widened. "Uh....that'll be very inconvenient." I chuckled a bit because I was so embarrassed. I looked away from him. "What is wrong with my lap? Would you prefer to put a pillow on it...or something?" Haechan looked down at his lap in confusion. "He is so oblivious..." I looked down while scratching my arm. I felt uneasy still. 
"Fine. Reject the perfect offer. You don't get to sit on my lap every day." Haechan stood up. My parents looked up at us. I walked closer to him. 
"Watch what you say," I whispered to him.
"Why?" A confused looked popped up on his face.
"It seems kind of inappropriate at this moment." I shrugged. Haechan's eyes widened in realization. He stepped in front of my parents. "I am sorry for being rude. I send my wishes to you all. I hope Renjun heals well." 
"That's not exactly what I meant..but, okay." I started to feel more hope in me lighten. Haechan walked back up to me with a serious look on his face. "Sorry about that. I wasn't thinking of the situation. I was trying to lighten it up but I realize how serious this really is." 
I made a small smile. "It's okay. I really appreciate you." I nodded.
"Go on and sit down." Haechan shrugged over to the chair. "No, You should sit." 
I looked down, then looked back over at Renjun. 
"Sit down." Haechan's tone totally changed. I looked at his face. He gulped. The sternness of his eyes made me start to feel a flutter in my heart. I made a slight nod because I knew how serious he was. I slowly walked over to the chair and sat down. 
In silence, we sat there. Time started to pass by, but nothing was changing. I was leaning my head on my hand and staring at the ground. 
Haechan walked up to me and sat on the ground in front of me. "You don't have to be here," I muttered. "You should go back to school. I don't want you to miss any more days than you have to." 
"I am here with you. I don't care about school." Haechan looked up at me.
 "Thank you, but really...I don't want you to be personally behind." 
"I'm staying here with you, okay?" Haechan raised his eyebrows to try to get it to click in my head. 
"But, what if.." I looked up at Renjun and my parents were laying their heads on the hospital bed. "What if he doesn't wake up for a long time?" I started to think: "What if he doesn't wake up...?" 
"He will and I will be with you until he does. School can wait. You are more important." Haechan placed his hand on my leg and started patting it. I got goosebumps. "I don't want to be a burden." I looked down and pouted. 
"But, you aren't a burden. You know...with my sister. You were there with me the whole time. Even when I was in my darkest time.." Haechan stopped himself.
"I have so many fears..that's all." I gulped and looked down. It was a bit silent but I felt darkness fill the room and my heart starts to tremble again over the thought. "He might not wake up."
The night had passed.
I woke up, suddenly lifting my head. I stretched my aching neck. I opened my eyes to see the light coming through the windows. My parents were sleeping by Renjun's side and Haechan was on the floor with his arm over his eyes. 
"It must be really hard on the floor.." I muttered to myself. "He's doing too much for me."
I slowly got up and stretched my arms. I quietly walked up to Renjun's bed. He was still sleeping. I kept looking up and down his baby. "Is this really just an accident...?" I slowly started to lift the blanket covering him. I peeked under it. 
What I saw was not normal. My heart started to shake.
"There is something they aren't telling us.
Half of Renjun's leg was missing and there were many bandages. "How could he be missing a part of his leg?" My hands trembled as I put the blanket back down. I gulped in fear. There was a sudden feeling of a presence behind me. I looked back and Haechan was standing over my shoulder. Before I could gasp of fear, Haechan placed his hand over my mouth. I slowly looked back at him. My heart started to beat really fast. I nodded. He released his hand. I took a deep breath. "Sorry, I just didn't want you to wake your parents," Haechan whispered to me. I took another deep breath. "Let's go out of the room," I whispered back. We slowly walked out into the empty hallway. 
"What's up?" He shrugged. 
"I think the doctors lied to us about what happened with Renjun," I whispered to him, making sure no one else was around us. 
"what do you mean?" 
"I looked under Renjun's blanket...he's missing half a leg." I gulped. Thinking about it was making me scared. 
Haechan's eyes widened. "wait...they didn't mention that?" "Exactly."
"Couldn't have been a really bad accident?" Haechan started to think.
"No. The story seems so fishy. Plus...why wouldn't they tell us he was missing part of his leg? It's all confusing to me.." I really wanted to figure out what really happened to Renjun. "Doctors should be coming to check on him soon. So, do you think we should ask them about it?" Haechan suggested.
"No no." Another thought popped up in my mind. "Let's follow them." I leaned in closer to him. "Wait..how would we find out if we follow them?" Haechan was confused. 
"We can find Renjun's research papers. But, I don't remember the exact Doctor sooo.." I looked down with a sigh. 
"But, what if we are wrong?" Haechan made a nervous chuckle. 
"We will find out something." 
"What about your parents?"
"Let's leave them out of it for now," I muttered. 
We walked back in the room and waited for the nurses to walk in and check the stats of Renjun. "He's still the same as last night." They told my parents. 
I glared over at Haechan to see him nod.
As the nurses left we followed quietly behind them. The nurses walked down the halls and we quickly ran and made sure to hide behind things to not get noticed. The nurses walked into a room and we noticed there was another doctor in there. But, the door quickly shut. Haechan and I squat down behind a vending machine. "We can't go in there when there are so many people," I whispered to him with a big sigh.
"Wouldn't it be easier to ask them?" Haechan tried to ask, but I still wanted to find out for myself. 
"No..I just need to know so there are no excuses." I gulped as the door had opened again. We both ducked our heads. But, I peaked my head past the vending machine to see the doctor that talked to us yesterday had walked out. He started to walk down the hall.
"Let's follow him," I whispered quickly to Haechan. We both crouched and started to follow him. "Wait!" Haechan quickly got my attention. 
I turned back suddenly. "What is it?" I whispered to him. "Won't the security cameras catch us...?" 
"Not in time." I quickly said and looked back ahead to see the Doctor walk in his office. 
"Now, we just have to wait until he's out and we can go in there." I stood up with a sigh of relief.
"If we get in trouble, I am blaming it on you." Haechan has a worried chuckle.
"We won't," I argued.
I kept peaking past the wall. 
"Is he going to be in his office all day?" I started to get impatient. 
I leaned up against the wall and released a big sigh. "Should we really be doing this?" Haechan chuckled again and glared over at me. "Yeah. You've always kept me out of trouble. But, I am sure of this one. It's for a good reason, right? It's not really wrong." I made a small smirk and kept peaking. 
"Fine." Haechan shrugged nervously. While I kept watching for the door to open, Haechan was just watching. 
"There was actually something I have been wanting to ask you. But, this came up and I didn't find it appropriate but.." Haechan started. I wasn't paying much attention. My mind was too focused on Renjun and finding out what was wrong. Everything else went over my head. "Yeah," I muttered. 
"Do you think..." Haechan started to speak softly. But, he didn't finish his sentence. The doctor walked out of his office. "Let's go." I quickly grabbed Haechan's hand and as The Doctor walked away we caught the door before it closed. We arrived in the small office room. "Did anyone see us?" Haechan whispered. I looked around the desk and ducked low. "We have to hurry." I quickly looked through the papers on his desk. I scanned the papers. Haechan was looking around the other parts of the room. I started to get a nervous, anxious feeling in my chest. I shuffled the papers around and finally found one that said: 
"Renjun."
I gathered the papers around it and tried to stuff them in my jacket. "I found them, now let's get out of here." I quickly got Haechan's attention. Right at that moment, I saw the door nob start to rattle. "Someone is coming!" I quickly grabbed Haechan's hand and acted out of instinct. I pulled him under the desk as the door started to open. Haechan and I were squeezed together. Our heads were close, our noses were barely touching. My heart started to pound. I made quick eye contact with him. I tried to listen to the person walking around. I briefly saw a person's shoes approach the desk. I gulped, hoping they wouldn't notice our stuffed bodies below the large wooden desk. Haechan took a small breath. I tightly closed my eyes. I couldn't bear the nervous feeling of being that close to Haechan. I could feel his light breath. My heart was pounding out of my chest, trying to stop my feet from falling asleep. "Don't move." Haechan mouthed as he gripped my hand. I slowly looked in the corner of my eye to see the man's feet right beside me. I almost felt like he was going to kick me. 
I felt the tight grip of Haechan's hand. 
"Where are the papers?" I heard the person say. I heard the shuffling of the papers flying all over the place. "Who was in here?" I heard the person yell and stomp out of the room.
"We might get in trouble," Haechan whispered. 
"At least let me take pictures of them." I took a big sigh. The person had left the room. We quickly tried to untie ourselves from the enclosed area. I took a deep breath as I stood up. I scratched my head. Haechan brushed himself off. I took pictures of the papers with my phone and quickly placed them back on the desk. "Let's hurry now."
As we approached the door, it was suddenly opened. The doctor faced us. "What are you doing in here?!" He raised his voice, in shock. "Just leaving." I grabbed Haechan's hand and pushed the Doctor aside. "You have the right to answer me. Security...come to my office.." He muffled. "Let's go." I quickly ran with Haechan down the hall as I noticed security chasing after us. "I told you we would get in trouble," Haechan whined. "Let's just go." I lead Haechan through the many floors, with the security running after us. We finally made it out the front door into the fresh air. We ran down a grassy hill. I stopped, out of breath. I looked back. "It looks like we lost them." I breathed heavily. I turned back around to see a sidewalk with many people riding their bikes. I looked up more to see a large river separating the two parts of the city and a large bridge. The sight made me feel a bit lifted. I heard a thump and looked down. Haechan was laying on the grass, with his arm over his chest, taking deep breaths. His eyes were closed. The sun was shining on him, bringing out his soft golden skin. I took a deep breath as my heart flutter. I slowly sat beside him and got out my phone. "I am sorry I almost got you in trouble." I looked down, slightly embarrassed. 
"Well, I did warn you. But, we didn't get caught. So, it's no problem." Haechan made a small chuckle. I made a small nod. I decided to get out my phone to get a closer look at the pictures. I zoomed in to read all it had said:

Injuries: Broken Rib. Concussion. Crushed Left Leg. Bruises. Two-Degree burns. Punctured arm. Scrapes all over the body.

As I read my heart started to thump. "This is way more than what they said.." I gulped. Haechan sat up as I said that. I read more.

Cause of injuries:
Fire. Debris. 

"Fire? Since when...?" Haechan and I quickly looked at each other. "They told us it was a crash.." Haechan muttered. My heart started to flutter. "So I was right.. they weren't telling us the truth." I started to feel emotions stir up in me. "But, isn't that illegal? Like? Why would they make up an excuse and not tell us the actual truth?" Haechan and I were both confused. I took a big sigh. frustration ran over my face. "So...he is worse than I thought." The feeling started to grow in me again. I started to get scared. "Why else would they hide it from us? I just don't get it." At this time I was very confused. I didn't know how to feel or what was going to happen. I curled my head in my legs. "I think they didn't tell us because they didn't know the full story," Haechan said. "They know what they're doing, right?" 
"But, what if Renjun is really in danger?" I muttered. I gulped, trying to stop myself from growing in fear. Haechan suddenly stood up. "I will be back. I will get you some coffee and cake, okay?" I made a quick nod and laid my head on my arms. Haechan had left. I was sitting alone, with the sound of the wind hitting the waves. My face was low. All I could feel is nervousness in my chest. I closed my eyes, starting to fall asleep by the gentle breeze hitting my face. 
Time in silence made me realize. "I feel lonely."
I noticed Haechan had come back, He sat right beside me with a large: "Ah!" 
He handed me a can of coffee and a packaged cake. I opened it and took a sip. He took a sip of his too. "Coffee sure tastes good by the ocean."
"You were gone long, what were you doing?" I looked over at him.
"Just..stuff." He made a small smile and shrugged. I didn't know what he did, but he was smiling about it.
"What kind of..stuff?" I muttered as I took a small sip. 
"I did what you were afraid to do."
I almost choked on my coffee. "What do you mean?"
"I simply asked the doctors. I got the answers easily." Haechan stretched his arms and the breeze blew through his hair. 
"Wait, what?!" My eyes widened. 
"We could avoid all these problems if we just asked. I did tell you." Haechan teased. "Renjun's injures are bad, but he will heal. He is in a coma, but he should get out of it. They have reported a false story of what had happened, but, the more they studied the injures the more they found us the truth. Renjun's school building was set on fire. He was trapped in a room and tried to save his friends. I beam from the ceiling ended up falling on him and caused him to get knocked out. The fire caused burns all over his body, and a locker ended falling on his leg. Two of his other classmates got injured too. Thankfully the firefighters found them in time." As Haechan explained the whole story I started to feel more understanding. 
"You really convinced them to tell you that?" I made a small chuckle of nervousness. "Yeah, I just told them my concerns. It's not always difficult, you know?" Haechan shook his head with a chuckle. "I am still worried, though." I made a small chuckle and looked down. 
I felt Haechan's glance roll on me. I peaked to look at him.
"It's natural to worry. But, at least things are figured out now." Haechan's face was glowing in the sunlight. My chest felt heavy from my heart beating so fast. The Sudden thought came back to me:
"Back at the hospital, what were you trying to ask me?" I looked over at him.
His eyes widened, and he nervously scratched his head. "It's nothing."
I didn't believe him. I was so focused on my worries earlier that I didn't think of Haechan. "I wasn't paying attention earlier. But, now I really am listening and I want to know." 
"It's not important." Haechan shrugged and looked out at the ocean. The sun started to set.
"You wouldn't want to ask if it wasn't important. You said you've been wanting to ask.." I muttered, playing with my feet. My heartbeat started rising higher and higher. "What is going on? Why did my heartbeat start rising?.." I looked over and realized the look on Haechan's face. "If you don't want to ask, that's okay too.." I looked back down.
"Are we-" As Haechan was about to say something, my phone started to ring. I noticed it was my mom. "I am sorry." I felt bad for not being able to hear Haechan once again, but I answered the phone. 
"Hello, mom."
"I just found out the truth...and something had happened.." I heard my mom whimpering once again. My heart started to sink. "Things aren't going to get better."
As I heard those very words, something in me had clicked and tears started to fall down my face.
"You should go back. He is not going to wake up for a long time. The injuries are worse than they had thought... and." I heard my mom's trembling voice. 
"We will be with him, and we will take care of him."
"I can't.." My voice started to tremble. "I can't leave him. I have to be here until he gets better." I tried to hold my tears. I felt a warm presence wrap around me. Haechan had wrapped his arm around me and pulled me close to him. My eyes widened. I couldn't say anything else. My mom ended up hanging up. I dropped my phone into the grass. The shock was so extreme to me, I couldn't feel anything.
Haechan held onto me and rubbed my shoulder.
"I don't know what to s-say." I struggled to say.
"You don't have to say anything." The feeling of being close to Haechan, my head leaning on his chest. Tears rolled down my face. 
"He probably won't wake up." I felt like there was no hope in me.

Everything was...

simple darkness.

Inside of me. I felt empty. I felt sadness. I felt alone. But, a word was spoken.
"You're not alone."
Haechan had broken the silence. 
"No matter how you are feeling right now. If you need to let it out, go on." By those simple words, I gripped onto Haechan's shirt and started to release all the fear inside me.
I wiped my eyes and looked up at him. "But, letting it all out. Am I just being dramatic?" I laughed to myself while wiping my cheeks. 
"No." Haechan glared at me. "You can always let out your feelings. Everyone feels. Everyone struggles...even me, Y/N. I cry you cry, your family cries, mine does too. Our friends cry. Everyone cries. When events happen like this, it's okay, Y/N."
Haechan's soft voice touched my heart. Tears, rolling down my cheeks.
"But, heck." Haechan shrugged. "No matter how many tears are shed. We are here for each other through it all. I might not be able to do anything but be here, but...I just want to be here for you." Haechan lit a place in my heart. I still felt a feeling of fear, but slowly Haechan was helping me heal. Being by him made me feel at home. "always being here with you, is all I could need." I muttered and closed my eyes. 

a lot of time had passed. many restless days of me fighting myself and my feelings. Thanksgiving had passed, and we didn't even get to celebrate it. I woke up one day in the hospital with an odd feeling and thought.
"I'm exhausted."
Not just physically, but, mentally. 
"Maybe I should consider what my mom and Haechan had told me."
My body was aching from the lack of sleep, food, and motivation. "But, Won't I be selfish? going back for selfish reasons?" I shook my head. Haechan suddenly appeared in front of me. "It has been too long." He made a soft smile and put my hair behind my ear. My eyes were heavy, I was so tired. "I am taking you back." Haechan gently started to help me up. "I can't go." I tried to fight him. "Y/N. Renjun wouldn't want this. You're not okay. You are harming yourself. Renjun wants you to be safe." Haechan tried to tell me. I saw my parents approach me. "Please go back. Please don't make us worry about both our children." My dad sternly looked at my tired face. "We are always going to be here with Renjun, so, please." My mom started to beg. By their trembling faces, my heart started to melt. I didn't want to do this any longer. "Fine." I gave in and rubbed my eyes. My parents had a look of relief. Haechan helped me up. "Let's get you a proper meal first, okay?" Haechan looked at me. 
He saw how this took a toll on me, but I knew he was there which made me feel lighter. He grabbed my bags and we started to walk out of the hospital and down the street. I stretched my arms. I felt so achy. "I am sorry." I realized how selfish I was actually being. 
"Don't apologize. You are just feeling. It's not selfish." I looked over at Haechan to see his gentle face. I felt my heart start to lift. I was slowly feeling more hopeful. He led me to a restaurant in the city. We both sat at the table together. "I will order your favorite." Haechan made a soft smile. Our food came out with coffee. Strawberry pancakes were in front of me, drizzled with white cream. The food looked so good. I smiled. "Thank you." I realized I didn't tell him that enough. "I am always here to take care of you. So, don't worry about it." Haechan pat my head lightly and started to eat his pancakes.
I started to eat too. I felt better. I felt as if my worries were fading. "Is it that easy? No... but he makes it a lot better and gives me the strength to get through it." A big smile grew on my face. I stared at him, eating his food. 
"Thank you, really. Thank you for giving me this." I flashed a big smile as my heart started to lift.
"Of course. Food is great." He quickly nodded. He didn't notice what I actually meant. Sure, I was still worried. But, I gave all my worries away. I had faith in my parents to take care of Renjun. I had faith that he was going to be okay. I had hope. No matter what fear I live with, I know I can be strong with Haechan beside me. The feeling started to grow in my heart. I couldn't stop looking at Haechan. Things went by so quickly. But, the light he had given me. I couldn't stop my heart from beating, I couldn't stop looking at him. I wanted to give him that hope too. For at that moment I realized the feeling in my heart.. it was

Love 

(A/N, I am sorry if I am not good at writing stuff like this.. I wanted to add more deep meaning and try to add a event to develop more. Hopefully I didn't over complicate or under complicate things... haha. I am not so good at this genre but I hope I got the feelings out well and that you all enjoyed this chapter.)