Chapter 2: Paying the F**king Taxes

Delilah barely got sleep after that first meeting. It ended at 3 in the morning and she had to be at the bakery for 5:30 to make sure everything was made and prepped for open at 8 AM sharp. She ran the day as normal. Sunday's regulars came through and most apologized about what happened Friday morning.

"It's been one hell of a weekend," Anakoni Kamalei Iona- AKA Dill- stated. Dill is a non-binary barista at Abraco- as well as Delilah's best friend. They leaned in to whisper to Delilah. "I heard about that murder of the officer that happened outside, some 19-year-old recruit or something. Poor kid. He had to be good if he was dealing with the Foot." Delilah smiled slightly.

"He was. I met two of his brothers. Talked very highly of him."

"Really?" They asked. Delilah nodded.

"Yeah. Chief Vincent thought it would be good since I went through the Collapse of Columbus Place." Their eyes widened.

"Really?" Dill asked before taking an order. "That was near you?" They asked when they started making the cappuccino. Delilah had started making herself an espresso-filled latte.

"That was me, Dill. I live there." Dill stopped and looked at Delilah.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't... I'm sorry."

"It's okay."

"How are your parents? And Mark and Bean?" Delilah sighed.

"They're fine. A bit bruised but... Fine."

Dill didn't need to know.

♦️♦️♦️

Delilah just wanted to sleep when she closed the shop. But she remembered she was expecting another meeting with Raph, so she made herself a latte with as many espresso shots she could drink safely.

(That number was 8, by the way, though the average human can only drink 5 usually.)

She didn't care. She did, though. draw the blinds and shut off the lights before getting a text from Raph.

Red_Sai: Just saw your lights turn off. Safe to come in?

Hey_There_Delilah: Oh, yeah. Where are you?

Red_Sai: A minute down the block.

Hey_There_Delilah: Gotcha. I'll have a cappuccino with 4 espresso shorts ready for you.

Red_Sai: You're fucking awesome

Hey_There_Delilah: I try.

She had worked on 2x speed and had the cappuccino finished by the time Raph had snuck into the Abraco.

♦️♦️♦️

"You're awesome, by the way. I was on that roof for two hours because I didn't know when you closed," Raph laughed as he and Delilah sat the table they sat at the night before.

"8 AM open Tuesday through Saturday, 9 AM open on Sundays. 10 PM close every day," she smiled.

"What about Mondays?"