Chapter 3: Feel it Still...

Friday, March 20th, 2020. One Columbus Place offered to pay for the funerals for Delilah's parents- Jamie and Liz- and Leslie and Marquis. She just wanted them cremated, then buried the ashes in flower pots around the Abraco.

Liz, Delilah's mother, was mixed with the dirt of her favorite succulent that's next to the register. Jamie, her dad, was with the tree in front of the store, where he took a coffee break at 10 AM every day. Marquis was mixed with the pot of his favorite tulips on the customer side of the coffee machines. Leslie was mixed into the flower box on the window sill, where she sat every day while not at school and talked the ears off of any guest who sat within a five-foot radius.

When I die, Delilah thinks, I want to be cremated and put in that little tree next to the "stage," even though it's just a place where we don't have any tables.

That's where her favorite memories were. But no one needs to know...

♦️♦️♦️

Raph and Mikey had come to the shop after she closed up, though Mikey only came five of the seven nights Raph did. Casey came by during the day and ordered the same thing- a vanilla bean latte, which Delilah sucked at but Dill was an expert at. Casey seemed to admire Dill, and they seemed to admire Casey as well.

Delilah brought it up to Dill later and they laughed. She brought it up to Casey and he just scoffed.

Monday, March 23rd was when she heard back from NYU- exactly one week after she applied. She texted the chat with Casey, Mikey, and Raph the moment she saw the email pop up in her inbox.

"Have you opened it yet?" Casey asked after he had helped sneak the turtles in through the back entrance, as it was 3 in the afternoon.

"No, I've been waiting. Poor Freddie is going to have a bald spot because I've been petting him so much," she laughed.

"Well, go ahead," Raph suggested. She nodded.

"Can I hold Freddie?" Mikey asked.

"Sure," she responded and handed the cat over to Mikey. She sat in front of the desktop and looked at the new email.

She opened it.

She screamed.

"What happened?" Raph asked, looking over her shoulder. He read it and laughed. He wrapped his arms around her from behind and squeezed her hard enough to make her cough slightly. He apologized and let her go. She smiled up at him again..

"What does it say?" Mikey asked.

"You can't get a reaction like that out of Raph unless it's good," Casey added.

♦️♦️♦️

March 23rd, 2020

Delilah A. Lawson

1 Columbus Place

81 E. 7th Street (Abraco)

New York City, New York.

Dear Ms. Delilah Lawson,

Congratulations! On behalf of the New York University community, I am pleased to announce your admission into our school for the fall of 2020! Your request to double major in Entrepreneurship and Computer Science majors as well as take our creative writing minor has been accepted.